Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P0400: EGR FLow Malfunction. can anyone relate!? Forums > > P0400: EGR FLow Malfunction. can anyone relate!? P0400: EGR FLow Malfunction. can anyone relate!?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 AM
ardenmann

Default P0400: EGR FLow Malfunction. can anyone relate!?

Folks, I'm pulling my hair out on this P0400 even after reading many post.
What I've done:
My vacuum lines look good,
Clean EGR body. Put vacuum to EGR with hand vac tool & manually actuate- engine does NOT sputter but does change sound some what. While EGR was off, I ran 2.5 feet of snake through the EGR exhaust tube and it DOES have air flow while engine runs. How much is normal, I don't know. On the block side of the EGR, it appears not to be clogged by putting a screwdriver into the hole. Sprayed Gumout in it also.
Removed all solenoids: EGR, EGRC, EGRC-BPT, cleaned & actuated them with 12V. also removed bank of solenoids to the right of throttle body & cleaned the block surface. Removed EGRC value & checked vacuum on control side and seems to be OK but noticed a foam around the diaphram open to air- is that normal?
I did NOT check the EVAP purge volume valve electrically- no schematic, but does pass air. EVAP purge passes air also.
When the engine is assembled I hear a "puttering" sound that appears to come from the firewall side of the engine, but when I manually actuate the EGR the sound goes away. When the engine is revved I feel the EGR diaphragm move. I was leaning toward a temperature sensor problem but the manual actuation of the EGR valve makes me eliminate that idea.

I have hand tools, VOM & OBD2 tester and pdf of control system that I bought online.
My mechanic friend says to replace the EGR valve but @ $180, I'm not going to shotgun.
ANY other checks or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 AM
jofisher

Wink Sounds like your going about it all wrong......

Having grown up in a mechanics house (my father) I know a little something about the difference between do it your self and taking it in. Now that is not to say that doing it yourself is a bad thing....Alot of money and time can be saved by doing the minor stuff yourself. But there are times that you need your friendly neighborhood mechanic. Most of what goes on with my car is taken care of by me. I have a 97 Nissan Sentra GXE. Paid good money for it and it has never let me down. Do my maintainance and minor repairs like switching out the alternator. but just this past week I had my check engine light pop on while going down the highway. I checked my fluids as soon as it came on and everything was good. When I got home later that afternoon I looked over my hoses with my flashlight and did not see any cracks or breaks. Took the car to Autozone and had them look at my code only after I retrived it manually ... turns out it was a P0400. Went to the mechanics and there is an easy fix that takes about and hour and half to do. It involves burning all the carbon build up out. You need a special solution and the guys that know what they are doing. So in this case it would be better to take it in. Spending anywhere from $130 to $190 on this repair is small compared to the engine blowing up and having to pay for the cost of a new one. Trust me.... Daddy would say this is one of the times to take it in.

Tags
egr, flow, malfunction, p0400, relate