Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Newbie! Please help with smelly vents!!! Forums > > Newbie! Please help with smelly vents!!! Newbie! Please help with smelly vents!!!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM
604ed

Angry Newbie! Please help with smelly vents!!!

Hi Everyone!,

I have a 2001 Altima with a smelly problem. Whenever I turn on the heater or A/C during the winter, the vents blow out really SMELLY AIR. I'm pretty sure no small animal went into the engine comparent area and I know my altima doesn't have an in cabin air filter so the bad smell can't be from there either. I know there isn't rotten food in the interior cuz i just cleaned it What do I have clean to get rid of the smell??? It drives me crazy!

Please help!!!

Thank you!!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

There are some chemicals available to clean the evaporator (which is probably the cause of the smell) or you can have the evaporator removed and clean (very difficult to do).

Another option is to try using the fresh air more often and to turn off the A/C 5-10 minutes before turning the blower motor off. The fresh air without the A/C will dry out the evaporator and eventually (it may take a long time) get rid of the bad smell.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:20 AM
kr4va12

ive had success removing the blower and taking a look at the evap,, spray with cleaner for that purpose,, Also,, check to make sure the evap drain is clear /open,( with the blower out spray water/ liquid and make sure it drains.
The evap has a coating to disperse water so it will run off,,, some issues i have seen is this,,, running blower while going through the car wash when they apply wax.,, that can get wax on the evap,, bad.
In the end if you find the evap is staying wet with the a/c.. try drying with the blower as stated by the gentleman above.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:00 PM
604ed

Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do myself and see if my mechanic can help me out. I think there might be mold growing somewhere within the heater or air intake for the blower. People can't stand being in my car anymore.

Tags
newbie, smelly, vents