Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Heater Blowing out cold Forums > > Heater Blowing out cold Heater Blowing out cold
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 PM
atlas53

Default Heater Blowing out cold

I have a 2002 altima 3.5. I changed the coolant and now it will blow cold air with heater on, the air conditioner is turning on.Is there a air bleeding plug or whats the problem?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Probably there still air pocket in the cooling system. Try the following procedure to bleed the system:

- Lift the front of the vehicle on the lift as high as he can safely get it.
- Remove the radiator cap and attach a funnel on the radiator.
- Start the engine hold the rpms at about 3000-3500 and watch for the air to come out through the funnel.
- Vary the rpms up and down once in a while to let the air come up. Do this for about 45 minutes.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 AM

2002 altima

I have a 2002 3.5 aswell with the same issue. When I rev the engine to about 1500 RPM I hear water flowing through the heater core and then warm air comes out. I will also try this fix and let you know the results.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:44 AM
brianx22

My wife's 05 had the same issue and symptoms. Like rrhumphrey's car, you could hear the water swooshing noise in the passenger compartment when you gunned the engine.

There is a TSB for the issue and I read it, didn't exactly follow it, but I was still able to fix it.

Part of the TSB says that you have to raise the nose of the vehicle into the air when you try to bleed the air out of the cooling system. My driveway has a small incline so, I put the vehicle's front wheels onto some ramps and pointed it toward the higher part of the driveway to lift it as high as possible. Then I started the engine, and revved it slightly (hoping the air bubbles would move toward the radiator). After a few minutes I opened the radiator cap (careful, it could be very hot!) and topped off the radiator. I did this several times.

Oh, also make sure your overflow tank has the proper amount of fluid in it. My guess is that an air bubble might come from here if the level gets below the hose in the overflow tank. I could be wrong... just a guess.

Topping the overflow helped me find another problem...all of the fluid I poured into it went onto the ground! WTF?
It turns out there was a crack in her overflow tank and all of the coolant drained out onto the ground. $65 later...I replaced it and topped it off to the proper levels. Could this have been the cause? I'm not sure but I do know that it's pretty cold here in NJ now and I have heat.

Anyway...Air pocket in the cooling system. That's probably your issue.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 AM
markaymom2

Thanks brianx22 for the tip. My heat has been erratic at best for a couple of months on my 2006 xterra. I suspect this is the issue and imagine that it's not a difficult fix now that I know. :) I have plenty of hills in the driveway to incline the truck on.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
2002 Altima
2002 altima sel 3.5

i have a 2002 altima 3.5 and had the same problem. the only thing i found is you haft to make sure the radiator cap is abouve the heater core. run the engine a 3000+rpm. leave the cap off and run the heater on high, top up the radiator periodicaly, and when the bubbles stop for 2 min all the air will be out and you'll have probably more heat then you ever had.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I wrote up a procedure on how to do this as it is a common problem with Altimas but I can't find it.

However, you can do a Youtube search and actually see how someone does do it.

From memory,

Park car with front end raised as much as possible. I have raised it using drive on ramps, 2 feet is good, more would be better, less isn't as good.

With a cool radiator, remove the radiator cap and use a piece of wire (like a clothes hanger), shaped like a U and insert it in the valve of the radiator cap; this will keep the radiator from pressurizing and force liquid and air out to the reservoir. Replace cap (make sure that wire is secure in the valve and will not fall out).

Now, remove reservoir from its location and make sure it is at least full of coolant to the HOT mark. Hang the reservoir from the hood, leaving the overflow hose connected to it.

Now, crank car and let engine warm to normal operating temperature. Turn on heat and set thermostat to highest setting. Open windows so heat can escape.

Occasionally rev engine to 2000-3000 rpm and notice as you do this, the fluid in the overflow reservoir will bubble; this is air exiting from the system. Continue to rev and then let idle several times until the air becomes less and less. At idle, you should now begin to feel heat.

After several minutes (may take as much as 10 minutes), shut car off If you are getting heat out of the vents at idle, you have probably removed all air from system. Remove radiator cap and remove wire holding the valve open. Replace radiator cap. Now, re-install the reservoir into its normal place. Make sure reservoir still has correct amount of coolant, if not, fill to HOT line. Always keep it to this point, never let it drop, if it does, air will be reintroduced into system.

Crank it and check heat, should be good at idle and when driving. If you still do not have heat at idle, you may repeat this process and see if this corrects the problem.

Other possibilities include a stuck thermostat but if you get heat at drive and not at idle, it most likely is still air in the system.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Reeseadzki

Get a new Heater...
Old 11-21-2016, 02:18 AM
2002 Pathfinder

Default 02 Pathfinder blow cold air at idle

Hi, 4 days ago when I started my pathfinder I heard a whirring sound from under the hood, it had not been present the day before, it seemed to get louder when I turn the steering wheel while remaining stationary ( i made sure I was on loose ground before attempting), now today the heater only blows cold air at idle but hot when I rev the engine, I also smell a hint of radiator fluid when I lift the hood, any idea's would be greatly appreciated. I read the post this morning about elevating the Pathfinder and bleeding out the air in the coolant line, so I will try that but the whirring sound makes me think there's something else going on. Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 05:36 PM
2005 Altima SE-R

Hi, I'm having some of the same problems with my heater. When turned on or on high it blows cold but my passenger floor is wet. Do I still follow these procedures. I have a 2005 Nissan altima 2.5 engine

Tags
blowing, cold, heater