Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Altima 09 Grinding / Stuttering on right turns Forums > > Altima 09 Grinding / Stuttering on right turns Altima 09 Grinding / Stuttering on right turns
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-30-2009, 06:52 AM
amujtaba

Default Altima 09 Grinding / Stuttering on right turns

Hi,

Nissan Altima 09
15000 kms

I am having issues when I turn the steering wheel to the right. It makes a grinding noise as if something is resisting the wheel on the left from moving. I also feel vibration on my feet. It only happens on right turns. Nissan technicians wild guess was that its the transmission but all the guys i have described to some technicians and some not guessed it to be CV joint which i think makes sense too.
Important thing is that it only happens when i start up after few hours and the engine is cold. It goes aways as i drive and make few turns.

Please suggest something here.
Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I suggest just dropping your Altima at your nearest dealer and don't pick it up until is fixed. Let them worry about the problem. Your Altima is still under warranty correct?

My best guess is the CV joint as well but I probably need to drive it to properly diagnose the problem. Did the dealer check for codes? even if the light is not ON, you may have a code stored in the ECM.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 AM
amujtaba

I have dropped it at a dealer for oil change and service schedule and notified the problem again. They'll call in couple of hours. They said they will check for cv joints. Hopefully they can figure out something.
Will update once I hear from them
Old 11-30-2009, 12:37 PM
amujtaba

Apparently these nissan guys are saying that they do not hear or feel anything. It is ridiculous.. I can't believe it. I'll have to take it to the different dealer.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Nissanteacher

Default similar...but when I turn left

My 09 2.5S makes what I describe as a howling noise the first left turn in the morning if it is 40 degrees and less (or so). Sometimes the noise will continue at a low level until it fades away. Recently I pick up some vibration along with it, but not sure where it comes from. The noise occurs if I take the turn in neutral and is independent of engine rpm. Haven't brought it to the dealer yet because they'll tell me they can't reproduce it...so I'll wait until it really breaks...I can't just 'drop it off until they fix it' because I need a car. If you learn anything, let me know.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
amujtaba

That is what they always tell me "We couldn't reproduce" Then I took the guy for drive and he noticed it then.. He said it could be the transmission and they discussed on tech line and offered me to replace transmission(obviuosly at no cost) but I didn't go ahead because they didn't seem to be sure enough. I guess they wanted to do hit and miss kinda thing and that too starting with transmission.
The sound and vibration exactly similar to what you have described is gettting more obvious on the right turn only and I might mention it again during my next oil change.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Have them check the carrier bearing on that side. The axle shaft is longer on that side and require the use of a carrier bearing. Also have the wheel bearing checked as well.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:45 PM
amujtaba

thanks... interesting point... I will definitely ask them on my next oil change coming up
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 PM
B. Proulx

Have you checked for a partially seized caliper?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:59 PM
2009 Altima

Just bought an 09 in August 09 and mine makes the same noise at the end of the day coming out of the ramp garage...turning left. Told the dealer about the noise...but they too could not replicate it. Told them to come down to my work location when I leave at night to hear for themselves...no luck on that yet...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 AM
amujtaba

Since they weren't able to reproduce it, except once when i drove them myself, they haven't checked for anything.... I guess they want to let it get worse so they can find out where it is coming from... For me it comes on right turns when the car picks up from stationary.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
kr4va12

i have seen loose /low torque axle nuts cause this type of prob.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Nissanteacher

Default Noise when turning left on cold mornings solved

Hey...the dealer duplicated the noise...wow...and after a conversation with Nissan Corp. added power steering fluid to the resevoir. Apparently the intake is close to the 'min' line so when it was cold and I turned left, it was sucking air. They just added additional fluid and problem gone.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 AM
2009 Altima

Almost correct. My boss had EXACTLY the same problem with his 2.5SL and the service team, working with NISSAN engineering figured out that before they changed the power steering pump reservoir tank design in mid 2009, the intake line to the pump entering the power steering fluid reservoir was very near the "maximum" cold line on the tank. The solution was to add power steering fluid to where the new level when cold was the old was nearer the HOT minimum line. He's had no trouble since.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 AM
2009 Altima

Just a clarification...the old "hot" minimum line becomes the new "cold" minimum line

Tags
altima, grinding, stuttering, turns