Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
98 Altima Timing Chain replacement needed Forums > > 98 Altima Timing Chain replacement needed 98 Altima Timing Chain replacement needed
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
1999 Altima Sedan

Default 1999 upper timing chain alignment

Hello Benny
Thank you for your time and for your comments. There is no way which the new upper timing chain which I have will line up with any marks on the two cam sprockets. Firstly the replacement chain came with black painted links and they are all evenly spaced around the circumference of the chain and not at different spacings, as I have read about. The chain does fit between the gears.
On the single chain sprockets for this model and year,(1999), there are two clearly visible lines and it is these which I would like to know where they are supposed to line up for timing purposes. I have number one cylinder on TDC and have the cam shafts in positions which should be close for the cylinder to be able to fire, towards the end of the compression stroke. However I would like to know if the intake camshaft sprocket marks should be in the 11 oclock position and the second mark in the 3 oclock position. Then the exhaust camshaft sprocket having a mark at the 1 oclock position and the second one at the 9 oclock position which would then form a straight line with the intake camshaft sprocket and through the centres of the two holding sprocket bolts, or should it be different to this? I am sorry for the long winded explanation, however I cannot "draw" it out on here. There must be a known position for the four alignment marks? However I have not been able to find them?
Can you please help me?
Thanks
John
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

ok you're doing good. its the 11 oclock (intake) and 1 oclock (exhaust) that you line up the painted link on the chain. i am curious is the replacement chain from Nissan? because I would imagine the replacement would look like the OE.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM
1999 Altima Sedan

Default re: 1999 Nissan Altima Timing Chain Replacement

Hello Benny
Thank you once again for your prompt reply and I appreciate what you have said.
The timing chain is not genuine Nissan, as my local dealer did not have it, when I went to buy it. I wasn't concerned about the colours and lining up coloured links, as I thought that the marks were more important and a better way to set up the timing. However I could not find any written information or diagrams on the "modified" single chain set up with the two marks on each cam sprocket for the KA24. This includes using All Data, Mitchell Pro, Haynes and even google and UTube. Is the car so old that there is no longer a need for it?
I do appreciate what you have said and I can see that this should work.
Thank you once again
Regards
Harry
Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I forgot to mention Haynes has repair manual for Altimas (1993-2006) covering 1st - 3rd gen. '93 - '97 uses two row tc and '98 and later models only use single row but procedures pretty much the same. If I were you I would count the # of links on the old chain and compare to the new. I believe the factory service manual also mention the # of links between the colored links. I would research it further say at rockauto.com and nissanpartszone.com, or nissanpartswarehouse.com. My reasoning is you said the replacement chain has four painted links evenly spaced. Just being cautious cuz I know the work involve and the potential damage.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 PM
1999 Altima Sedan

Smile re: Nissan Timing Chains

Hello Ben
Thank you once again for your reply and for the time and effort which you have gone to with offering advice for my problem. Well Today I took your advice and went back to the basics and took both chains off and started the timing chian fitting procedure again, starting with the crankshaft sprocket and the lower chain. I found the mark on the crankshaft sprocket, marked it and then fitted the lower chain to the ilder sprocket and in the process, I was able to line up the sprocket marks with the marks on the new chain. Then I turned the camshats around so that the dowel pins were in the 12 oclock positions and the cam lobes on number 1 cylinder were nearly horizontal and in line with the top of the cylinder head on the inlet side and exhaust side. The three marks on the upper chain then fitted on and lined up with three marks on each sprocket and the idler gear. All I need to do now is fit the upper chain tensioner and hopefully this will tighten the chain up and keep the marks aligned. I will then carefully turn the engine over by hand to ensure that all pistons and valves clear each other during the process. The distributor drive/locator on the exhaust camshaft is in the horizonatl position and this I believe is correct?
Thank you once again for your time and patience and I will let you know how the repair goes. I have liked Nissan for many years and would seriously consider buying a Murano and in the coming months I will have a look for a 2010 model. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Regards
John
Old 01-17-2016, 01:40 PM
1998 Altima Sedan

Where exactly did you support the engine and the transmission with the two jacks? I will be doing the same job myself, thank you in advance.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:17 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

to the sub frame to raise the frond end.

Tags
altima, chain, needed, replacement, timing