Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Stereo Display problems Forums > > Stereo Display problems Stereo Display problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 AM

2008 altima

Default Stereo Display problems

So, I have an 08 Altima with 25K miles.

Sometimes the (stereo&clock) display will be dim, partially illuminated, even filicker.
It has only happened a few times, but the last time I took pictures. I printed out the pictures - gave them to the dealership when I brought my car into get serviced.

They just called to say it was ready and I'm getting the runaround. "We need to be able to see the problem". I gave you pictures. I was told the only solution is to replace the stereo.

Has anyone else had problems?

I'm REALLY unhappy getting the runaround getting a problem fixed... and I don't feel like I should have to bring it in - in the middle of the day when I'm working ONLY to show them what I'm seeing and then for them to tell me I need to make yet ANOTHER appt.

This is the same dealership that couldn't explain that the noise I heard when driving forward was the ABS self test.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima Coupe
2009 Altima Coupe

If you have Auto-on lights (convienace package) they may be comming on in showdowed area, tree lines road, overpass etc. then back off. I had this happen but only when driving in an area that went from light to darker and back to light, again like a wooded area on the road. They don't stay on long and it's hard to tell eccept that the radio lights dim, and you may see the lights by the shifter and temp controls come on. Again only briefly then off.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:20 AM

2008 altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitco View Post
If you have Auto-on lights (convienace package) they may be comming on in showdowed area, tree lines road, overpass etc. then back off. I had this happen but only when driving in an area that went from light to darker and back to light, again like a wooded area on the road. They don't stay on long and it's hard to tell eccept that the radio lights dim, and you may see the lights by the shifter and temp controls come on. Again only briefly then off.
I do - but the problem wasn't the display going dim and bright (like it should). That works fine. When I go under a bridge or tunnel the headlights come on and the display goes dim fine.

The problem was that the display was partially illuminating (and flickering). For example, only part of the time would light up. Some portions of the digits would be dark. I stated in my previous post: "Sometimes the (stereo&clock) display will be dim, partially illuminated, even filicker." I should have clarified that it has been dim when the headlights are off - and it should be bright.

The dealer finally agreed to replace the radio - so I'm happy. It's clear that the display was malfunctioning.

Last edited by JTATZ; 08-29-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:27 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima Coupe
2009 Altima Coupe

Glad the dealer is taking care of you. I'll keep an eye on mine. Allot of time they have troubles with a batch of units but only replace on a as need be bases. Instead of a recall. Thats one of the reasons these sites are so worth checking out.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 AM
strawberries

I recently started having the exact same problem with my 08 altima, just the radio/clock was dimming/flickering. None of the other lights in the car. I thought it could be electrical or the battery. Has yours been working fine since you got the radio replaced? I'm definitely going to have them check it out next time i bring my car in....
Old 06-15-2010, 09:03 AM
minimalism

I am having the same problem with my 2007 Altima. It started happening about a week ago and I've only seen it 3 times. It looks like it's not an isolated problem... is there a recall for this issue?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
twproulx

Default Same Problem

I have a 2009 Altima Hybrid that is showing the same display problems. Of course, it never does it when I am at the dealer. It seems to be much worse in hot weather???
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM

1998 Pathfinder

I hate these intermittent, random problems... In my case it first happened a few months ago during cold weather, although today it was very hot (> 90 degrees) and the radio display was completely blanked out when I started my car after work. Oddly enough adjusting the outside mirror brought it back. 2009 Altima SE V6, Bose non-nav.

Any suggestions about an easy way to reproduce for warranty service purposes?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

Not seeing the problem on my '07 Altima.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 AM
autobahn

Default 2008 Nissan Altima with Display Issue

All,
I am having the same issue as described above. My radio flickers and becomes dim (to the point where I can't read what the display says). My car is out of warranty now...is there anyway to have this radio repaired or an easy fix? Hopefully one of the fuses? Please let me know other people's solutions.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I have had 2 Maxima's and 1 Altima and this seems to be a common problem. The Maximas have a digital clock that eventually goes dim to dark and sometime comes back and then goes away for good. The BOSE head units will do the same thing until they finally fail. The 2002 Altima did the same thing where the display finally goes after flickering for a while.

In all the cases above, replacement was the easiest alternative although in some forums you may find procedures to actually replace the failing resistor(s) in the component.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

My wife had a mid-90s Ford Explorer that did the same thing. There was actually a guy on Ebay who you could ship the bad head to and he would repair and ship it back for something like $35.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 PM
autobahn

Default Appreciate it

I appreciate both of your responses. I think replacement might be inevitable...
Old 07-01-2011, 02:15 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima Coupe
2009 Altima Coupe

I bet it would be cheaper to replace with the aftermarket radio. If mine start I'll put in a pioneer or something nicer with the Ipod connection. Mine hasn't done this yet "knock wood".
Old 09-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Rdecerio

I have a 2008 Altima and my radio and clock lights go out (turn off/go blank) intermittently. Most times if I turn off the car and restart, the lights will work. Sometimes however, even this doesn't work. The other day when I turned the car off, the radio lights stayed on. I had to restart then turn off and the radio lights went out. Today, the complete dash lights (speedometer, tachometer) were flashing off and on. Therefore, I do not think it is a radio problem. I think it's some kind of electrical or computer/processor problem. Has anyone had this issue?

Tags
display, problems, stereo