Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 Altima crank position sensor location Forums > > 2003 Altima crank position sensor location 2003 Altima crank position sensor location
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 PM
rhoadesd

Default 2003 Altima crank position sensor location

My 2003 2.5L 4 cylinder Altima has been in for the recall to reprogram the ECU for the crank position sensor signal dropout issue. However it still occassionally hiccups or refuses to restart when hot. The troubles codes set in the computer are for the speed sensor, the cam position sensor, and the crank position sensor.

I am considering change the crank position sensor but am having trouble locating it.

I can find the cam position sensor and the speed sensor.

Too bad the engine control service manual for the 2003 is not posted.

Dan R

P.S. Whats the issue with limited file downloads. Apparently I can only download four files?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

to Nissanhelp.com forums

This week I'll work on uploading more service manuals.

The restriction of 4 files per day is to keep the data transfer down. The bill is getting to high and we are providing this service free.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:42 PM
aandroo

i have a crummy picture that shows the sensor picking up off of the flywheel. the view shows towards front of car. it has a 3 wire connector the colors are r/g w b. good luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:09 PM
2015 Rogue

The crank sensor is located on the back side of the engine close to the transmission bell housing.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:47 PM
rhoadesd

Default 2003 altima crank postion sensor location

I think the crank position sensor on a 2003 altima is...
Mounted on the engine block near the bell housing...
On the side of the engine block adjacent to the firewall...
Almost touching the right (drivers) side of an engine mount...

Is this correct?

Is the connector locking mechanism for the crank sensor the same as the cam position sensor?

Dan Rhoades
Old 04-30-2009, 06:57 AM
AshleyJ.

How do you look at the info that someone has posted.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 PM
2003 Altima

I just did this sensor last week and it is a HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$. I found a video on YouTube that was pretty helpful, but still difficult replacement. Got it done though and the car is running great (hope it lasts!). This is such a frustrating thing. I had the code come up 2 years ago and paid over $300 for the "Stealer" to replace it. I also replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor which is actually the same sensor but 100x easier to replace. I got the sensors at Autozone for about $30 ea. The dealer only had replaced the Crankshaft Postion Sensor and not the Camshaft Position Sensor. The Crankshaft Position Sensor they installed looked exactly the same as the Duralast part I got. The original on the Camshaft looked a bit different.

If you do this yourself be prepared for some serious frustration. Having some mirrors will be helpfull. Be carefull with the harness it is tough to get off, I ended up just taking the sensor our before undoing the harness connection.

Good luck, here's a link for video I used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnxH2fm6E34
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

I'm sure a lot of seasoned techs will disagree on what I'll state here and shoot me down with technical know-how...but...

If you're having issues related to the famous Crank and Cam position sensors, check for oil on the plug going INTO the sensor. I'm referring to where the plug harness is. If the sensor shows oil at the plug side, remove the sensor from the engine and clean with an appropriate solvent or liquid cleaner thoroughly washing out the oil where the pin are inside and also at the plug harness that goes in. Then blast with air or use a hair blower to dry out the water (I would prefer blasting with air pressure as it will squeeze out remaining oil pockets. Replace back on the engine and plug the harness to the sensor. Most likely your car will start normally and your issues RELATED to this sensor will be gone. Erase the codes and do a test drive. Used oil has metal particles that will offset or short the sensor rendering it useless. This may be happening because of a faulty head cover gasket seeping oil down the side of the engine and into your sensor. Give it a try, won't cost you a penny except for dish-washing liquid and water. NOTHING will happen to the sensor, just clean the hell out of it. I still have my two original sensors that went "bad" and yes I spent $70 for the new and improved Nissan sensor with the can-like body which I sold on eBay later as my original sensors waked up to life again and now going into 130k miles. I also had to replace my head cover gasket, it was seeping oil slowly. I was left stranded twice on the road,

I'm sure there may be actual sensor failures that will call to replace these sensors, but in my case, this was the cause and the cure. Please consider this cleaning process first before buying a new sensor unit. Hope it works for someone out there too, saving you a few pennies.

Note: The bottom plug harness has a very small tab you will need to push inwards to get the harness to release. Pull as you push this small tab in. If you just pull on the harness this tab will most likely break. It can be reused, but the harness can also unplug itself in the future.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

For the benefits of those who wants to DIY their cranshaft sensor replacement:

Forum/Altima - Page 20. Title: Where is the crank shaft senor on 2006 Altima.

Have fun.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:00 AM
2003 Altima

Didn't think of cleaning it! I was pretty dirty and I could see how sludge and other build-up could cause it to malfuntion. Wish it wasn't so hard to get to :(
Old 09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
2005 Altima

where is the crankshaft sensor located for a 2005 nissan altima
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima 2.5S

This image is the best one i could possibly find for the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Keep in mind that the engine is sitting from back to front, so that location is actually towards the firewall where you would be working blindly at that sensor.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fi...ne_removed.jpg
Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

a couple changes i found more convenient;
1. remove the sensor 10mm mounting bolt first. then pull out the sensor with harness toward you then disconnect the harness connector.
2. connect the new sensor connector b4 installation. this way there's no chance you drop the new sensor. everything else are the same.
3. if you don't have a shop light, you can use a lantern or large flashlight.

Where is the crank shaft senor on 2006 altima
Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
2007 Altima

How to locate Crankshaft Positioning Sensor:

http://youtu.be/325s0pFQZtg
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Default crank sensor

Crank sensor when leaning over left fender looking at the back of the engine look down on the right side and you will see a mount and the wire just above that leads to the crank sensor. i have been a tech for 42 years and it is a pain to change. It is also recommended that both cam and crank sensors both get changed being they both share the same 5volt ref.

Tags
2003, altima, crank, location, position, sensor