Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
cam, crank or both sensor replacement? 2003 Altima Forums > > cam, crank or both sensor replacement? 2003 Altima cam, crank or both sensor replacement? 2003 Altima
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 AM
pooty4real

Question cam, crank or both sensor replacement? 2003 Altima

I'm getting a P0340 (Camshaft Sensor malfunction) code in my 2003 2.5L Altima and I;ve been having some trouble starting in the warm weather. I called the dealership to see if my car was covered under a camshaft sensor recall in 2006, no dice. The said that it would run me about $350 to fix because I MUST replace both the crank and camshaft sensors and I MUST use nissan parts. It looks like I can pick up the sensor (aftermarket) for about $30, and I'm pretty confident with replacing the camshaft sensor on my own, but the crankshaft sensor looks too complicated for my skill level.

Is the dealership right? Do I need to replace both sensors, with nissan parts? Or can i replace the camshaft sensor and leave the old crankshaft sensor and save $300?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

WARNING: For these parts do not buy aftermarket even if it cost $5. It could be the most expensive cheap buy you make.

Make sure you buy the new design CPK AND CPS from Nissan. Its the same part and part #. Its metal and cylindrical in shape. On the net you prob can buy it around $50-$60 each. Check at Amazon or eBay. Your local nissan dealer will probably charge around $100. ea. + labor, hence you're quoted $350.

It is recommended that you change both at the same time.

The crankshaft sensor replacement is the same as camshaft. The only difference is the crankshaft's location that is challenging. Read my thread on this. TAG: altima, crankshaft, senor, replace in Altima Forum. You can do it, Have Fun.

Last edited by bennyb53; 07-06-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Altima

Crankshaft sensor is attached by one 10mm bolt. You won't actually be able to see it; you have to feel for it. It is located on the back of the engine. You gotta reach down and around. Nothing you can't do.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast
2006 Altima

DIY Crankshaft Position Sensor CPS 2006 2.5 Altima - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum
Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Ont240

Had the same problem,
Used the dealer to fix.
looking back I would have bought 1 OEM part. (They have been redesigned. Oil leakage into the old style causes the problem) changed out the easy access one first( cam) If the problem is gone great. Otherwise swap back and do the crank sensor.
it's highly unlikely they both go at the same time. They are the exact same part.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Default sensors

what do you have to loose. Change the cam sensor. If you have another code set again find a friend who has a friend that is a tech. Yes you can use aftermarket.

Tags
2003, altima, cam, crank, replacement, sensor