Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
EVAP canister and vent control valve Forums > > EVAP canister and vent control valve EVAP canister and vent control valve
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 PM
rrajesh25

Default EVAP canister and vent control valve

I've had the check engine soon light on my 01 altima for an EVAP code. It turns out there's a problem with the evap canister and the vent control valve.

I was thinking about changing it myself, but I wanted to get an idea on how difficult this is? I don't have too much experience under the hood.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Actually is not under the hood is under the car.

Replacing the canister and valve is simple, just disconnect hoses, remove bolts and reconnect. Just make sure to mark all the hoses before disconnecting, and that the valve "O" ring is in place.
Attached Thumbnails
EVAP canister and vent control valve-figure1-gif   EVAP canister and vent control valve-figure2-gif  
Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 AM
mphoenix

Default 2000 Frontier EVAP System Location

Do you have a diagram for where it is located on a 2000 Nissan Frontier? Would I need to drop the fuel tank in order to get to it? I looked under my truck and I thought I spotted it under my spare.

I took the truck to the dealership and they told me I need to replace the EVAP Valve and Canister. The code it spit out from the SES light was EVAP Valve (open) and EVAP System (Gross Leak). Are they telling me the truth, do I need to replace both or would the valve be sufficient?

I'd like to do it myself as long as it is not a difficult job. They wanted to charge me $650, $325 for parts and $325 for labor. I found the parts for cheaper, but I just don't know what type of labor this entails.

Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

It is located over the spare tire. The reason for the replacement of the cannister is that the valve is bolted to the cannister and the bolts will break off also sometimes with the corrosion on the bolts causes swelling and cracks the cannisiter.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1985 300ZX

I'd like to do it myself as long as it is not a difficult job. They wanted to charge me $650, $325 for parts and $325 for labor. I found the parts for cheaper, but I just don't know what type of labor this entails.

Where did you find them and how much?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 PM
XterraPWNER

I need to do this also on A 2004 Nissan Xterra. The truck spit gas on my girlfriend and im kinda worried now so it's gotta be done. Can't afford to pay someone though. Anyone wanna help me figure this out?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 AM
ROVINGGAMBLER

Anyone tell me where the evap canister is located on 2000 altima??

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVINGGAMBLER View Post

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease
It is in the rear of the vehicle.
just look under the rear trunk area under the car.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Murano
2007 Maxima
2009 Murano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVINGGAMBLER View Post

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease
I had a 98 and it was located behind the l/r wheel. It you can remove the bolts on the cannister to remove the control motor. Use a small screwdriver to move the plunger which sometimes get stuck. You can also use some jumper wires to hook it up to the battery to check the plunger operation. Also blow out the hose lines you see in the area. My light came on because a line was blocked from a moth nest.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
USMCWarriorGirl

I have the check engine light on as well, I have a 2000 Pathfinder w/code P0440, I think I've located the evap canister in the way back on the driverside just behind the tire but I'm not sure where the evap canister vent control valve is? It sounds like you can't just replace the vent control valve itself but the evap canister itself too? I just bought this SUV like not even a week ago so yeah...
Old 03-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

It's not hard to replace but i would soak the bolts with PB Blaster before i would try to remove them.Check the canister closely around the bolt area for cracks.good luck and thanks for serving.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 PM
USMCWarriorGirl

Yeah I got under there and poked around and all the wires are connected and the bolts don't look too bad, though I haven't tried removing them yet so they could be pretty crusty. Thank you very much :) I'm a Marine Corps Officer Candidate and I'm happy to serve!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Murano
2007 Maxima
2009 Murano

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCWarriorGirl View Post
Yeah I got under there and poked around and all the wires are connected and the bolts don't look too bad, though I haven't tried removing them yet so they could be pretty crusty. Thank you very much :) I'm a Marine Corps Officer Candidate and I'm happy to serve!
See if you have one of these under there. I had to replace mine because a hose connection had cracked.
Its off a 98 Altima very near to the canister.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1269039440
Old 03-19-2010, 04:14 PM
USMCWarriorGirl

I think there might be something like that, I haven't looked since the other day but it looks familiar. I'll check tomorrow when its light out and let you know, I'll probably take some pictures. I'm about 90% sure there's just a valve stuck open or closed somewhere. The annoying part is finding out where, P0440 is annoying because its so vague! I had that happen on my old 97 chevy cavalier and it turned out a wire was unplugged!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
ROVINGGAMBLER

Default Vacuum cut valve / bypass valve

I have a 2000 altima that recently had the s.e.s. Light come on and i received an error code p1441 vacuum cut valve / bypass valve.....can anyone advise as to the best place to get these parts without getting screwed????

Tags
canister, control, control valve, evap, evap canister, valve, vent