Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2.5 liter belt vibration Forums > > 2.5 liter belt vibration 2.5 liter belt vibration
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 05-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast
2003 Altima
2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

Nope. Checking to find the unfamous pulley at ebay for $15 before unfolding a few Jefersons...
Old 06-26-2009, 05:01 PM
acam37

Default UPDATE

I found a used alternator at the wrecking yard for $45.00 with a 90 day warranty. I put it on and to my amazement the belt flop and vibration is gone; for the time being. I'm still a little skeptical, so time will tell if this actually cured the problem. I noticed the pulley on the one I bought will turn the alternator when spun clockwise and freewheel when spun counter clockwise like the rear sprocket on a bicycle. The one I took off the car was locked up and turned both directions, if that makes any sense.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:36 PM
2015 Rogue

If you are a good customer at your local nissan dealership you may be able to get them to swap a pulley off of a core for you.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
abqishome

Thanks for all the good information here. While test driving a 2005 2.5L Altima the other day for my daughter, I noticed the serpentine belt going ape "s*&t" - while in drive and at idle; I was pretty worried until I saw this forum. It was crazy how much it vibrated. In any event I got $200 taken off the price because of this problem that the seller said was "always there" and no one knew how to fix. Unfortunately none of the local salvage yards had an alternator, even so, they wanted $120 if they did. So, I bought a rebuild from Autozone for $180. Even the guy there was unfamiliar with the clutch and pulley system in the alternator. Prior to this, two Nissan mechanics said it was the tensioner..., luckily an independent mechanic agreed it was the alternator, which gave me a bit more confidence prior to shelling out the dough. It was kind of rough changing out the alternator, it is a tight fit. However, the belt stopped flapping - we noticed that the old alternator had no clutch action, while the new one did. Now that the belt flapping is gone, we noticed some other engine vibration. It looks like the passenger side engine mount, which probably made the belt flapping feel worse. Hopefully I'll find some good info here on how to change that out...

Last edited by abqishome; 06-22-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Brudad

Thanks for posting your results. I have the same problem and now I can go right to the fix.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 PM
u307721

Talking Belt Vibration

Yep, I had the same problem on my 2.5, tranny in gear @ idle, A/C on and watch the belt start wobling and making ugly noises. First I replaced the belt with no joy, Replaced the Alternator and SHAZAM ! El Problemo went bye-bye. Thank you very much for this posting. Ya'll saved me $$$, As previously mentioned. Be sure when picking up your reman'ed Alternator that you compare the pulley actions and when calling around, ask the parts guy if it has a new pulley on it because if they cannot tell you on the phone it may not be worth your trip to that parts store.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM
2003 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by acam37 View Post
So, you think it's the alternator? Here is exactly what its doing. Crank it up and its fine, turn on A/C in neutral its fine. As soon as you put it in gear then all hell breaks loose, thats when the belt between the alternator and A/C compressor "slaps" like a loose guitar string. As soon as you let off the brake and rev up the RPM's it will go away. It really only does it sitting still in gear. It is very annoying, Plus I've become obsessed with finding the cause and cure.
I had this problem exactly and I replaced the alternator with a referb. Everything is good as new; no flapping anymore.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM
2005 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan master tech View Post
I just had to fix one of these the other day.....believe it or not its not the tensioner or the a/c compressor... but the alternator....the alternator has a one way clutch built into the pully on the front and when it seizes its causes belt slap just get your self a new one and your back on the road

Thanks!!! this fixes the problem
Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 AM
2005 Maxima

Thumbs up Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan master tech View Post
I just had to fix one of these the other day.....believe it or not its not the tensioner or the a/c compressor... but the alternator....the alternator has a one way clutch built into the pully on the front and when it seizes its causes belt slap just get your self a new one and your back on the road

Thanks!!! this fixes the problem
Old 07-24-2015, 11:16 AM
2004 Altima Sedan

I had the same problem. I replaced the idle tensioner, I replaced the belt several times and none of it worked. I had heard the alternator was the problem from other forums so I finally replaced it. It's fixed now, amazing the alternator pulley can make the belt flap like it did.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:27 PM
2004 Altima Sedan

I know this is an old post but maybe this will help someone.

Confirmed!!! It worked. I simply replaced the alternator...took me about an hour and $180 and the car is running much better.

I bought a remanufactured one from autozoneand in the description it even says that the clutch is replaced for the pulley gear.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:28 PM
2006 Altima Sedan

Angry alternator pulley replacement

As in the other posts, my serpentine belt vibrates at idle, and even more with the ac on. As suspected the alternator ADP pulley is seized and doesn't allow the alternator to free wheel when it's supposed to. Rock Auto sells the Gates pulley and tool kit to get the job done BUT make sure the alternator has the proper recess in the shaft for the tool. There is a video on You Tube that illustrates this perfectly. The poor guy has no recess in the alternator shaft. In my case I could see a recess with a mirror after getting the dust seal off so I thought I was home free. After getting the alternator out I found that all I had was a drilled hole and no splines or internal hex for the tool to get a hold of. Booo Nissan, whoever is making these alternators isn't doing a thorough job! I plan to resize the hole and tap it for a socket head screw that matches the tool, secure it with red Loc-Tite or tack weld it in place (or both!). Hopefully it will save me the $420.00 (Canadian) Nissan wants for a new alternator, which they tell me are remanufactured. They couldn't tell me if that includes a new pulley though. So much for the information age.

Last edited by mech11; 08-14-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

A new alternator from Nissan will come with the pulley. All their replacement alternators are sold as remans, but you couldn't tell the difference between it and a brand new one. I sometimes wonder if they just label it as reman for some sort of tax reason?

Tags
belt, liter, vibration