Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 will not start Forums > > 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 will not start 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 will not start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 PM
2008 Altima

There's a switch at the brake pedal that will keep it from starting. I can't remember what they call it, but it reminds me of a neutral safety switch on an old car. Mine went out and they replaced it under warranty. Might be worth a call to the dealership to see if it's still covered.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM
2008 Altima Sedan

My 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S would not crank. All lights worked but when I pushed the starter button there was only a humming noise. New battery helped but then I had the same problem. Read on this forum about the brake switch, (right behind the brake peddle). Went out and jiggled the wires and pushed down peddle with my hand and cycled the 2 little switches. Car started fine! Thanks Nissan help! At least now I know where to look if it happens again.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 PM
2008 Altima SE-R
2008 Altima SE-R

Question servicing

Welcome ÇŃĚćÇ help me switch malfunction Is there a map of cooling power for cooling treatment so that I can
Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 AM
2009 Altima Sedan

I have a question for clarification on this issue, as I am having very similar problems.

If someone is experience this problem due to the brake switch fault, then how does getting a jump start allow the car to start? Wouldn't it still disallow starting due to not reading the brake being depressed?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM
2009 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtunc99 View Post
I have a question for clarification on this issue, as I am having very similar problems.

If someone is experience this problem due to the brake switch fault, then how does getting a jump start allow the car to start? Wouldn't it still disallow starting due to not reading the brake being depressed?

Thanks
Bump, anyone please?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:56 AM
2009 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtunc99 View Post
Bump, anyone please?
Bump please.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:07 AM
2007 Altima Sedan

I may be having a similar issue. Everything comes on when I press the start button. When I depress the brake pedal to start the engine, it makes a really loud, fast clicking noise. I think my battery is good, but to be sure can I check it with a voltmeter? What should it read? If it reads correctly, could it be a bad starter coil?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM
2009 Altima Sedan

Never had any problems with my Nissan before, but this morning driving to bank it started vibrating under my feet, clunking. I was able to park, let it sit for a while. Started it again and same clunking. I turned it off, called AAA and now I'm sitting in Nissan dealership service area. Asking the Nissan Forum. What could b wrong? They changed me $98 just to do diagnostic 40 min ago. Haven't heard anything yet.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:50 AM
2014 Altima Sedan

Default 2014 Nissan Altima

This past Friday my Altima that I am leasing and is less than a year an a half old....died on a very busy highway in the middle lane. It would not start. The battery light came on as well as the check engine light. I tried several times and nothing. Then my car started smoking!! Like I said...my lease started May 31, 2014. Still under warranty thankfully. Towed to closest Nissan Dealership and it has been there for 3 days and so far they determined that I have a bad starter. That's all they have so far. The car will be there for a while since they don't know why it started smoking. I am terrified now and have to purchase the extended warranty since I'm fearful I got a lemon.

Any ideas?
Old 05-26-2016, 03:08 PM
2008 Altima Sedan

My Nissan Teana (Altima) 2008 250XE developed a problem of starting. Firstly, it burned the gasket and the head of which got repaired by mechanic and engineer and the vehicle started moving. After taking a long drive around the city, the car stopped when backing home. What happened is that after climbing a low hill on the highway, the speedometer dropped from 100 to 0 (zero) and could not accelerate anymore even when I pressed the accelerator. It stopped and I parked it at the side of the highway. It had to be toward back home. The mechanic has been working on it but no success, changed battery but no success. Also, the temperature gauge is not indicating and the brake pad is hard when I press. It won't start at all. What can I do or what is your suggestion?
Old 12-26-2016, 06:41 PM
2009 Altima Sedan

So does anyone know if the brake switch issue causes a loss of power to the whole car for a period of time? I have a 2009 2.5 SL Altima and have had the brake switch replaced but problem is worse than before. When I press the brake and start button all display goes off for 5-15 seconds. It may take 1 or 8 tries to start and then all is fine. Suggestions?
Old 08-29-2021, 07:08 AM
2008 Altima Sedan

Had this exact problem - No start and all lights worked in 2008 Altima SL. Changed the brake switch and all is well. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Tags
2008, altima, nissan, start