Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 will not start Forums > > 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 will not start 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 will not start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

Just have somebody stand behind the car and see if the brake lights come on when you put your foot on the brake to start the car. If they come on, it's probably not that switch.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM
NancyNissan30

It is the switch. When I would press the brakes and the lights came on it would start. When I pressed the brakes and the lights were not on it would not start. Is this an easy fix that we can do at home?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

You may need to adjust the switch or you may need a new one. There have been reports of faulty switches.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 AM
syncro9z

I had an 07 altima. Same symptoms same problem. I tested the switch and found thus to be the problem. It left me stranded 2 places with no tools on me so what I did was wiggle the switch wires on the brake pedal where it goes hooked into. Also you can try pressing and releasing the contact. There are two switches down there on the brake pedal. One is a stop light switch and the other is the safety start switch . Replace it.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 PM
brandoAlt

I too had this problem tonight. I was stuck in St. Louis in my '07 Altima and could not start my car up. The lights would turn on when I depressed the start button but nothing would happen. I am not a member of a auto club and no friends to call for help. Out of desperation, I googled "altima will not start" on my iphone and was led to this forum. After reading previous posts, I tested my brakes and the brake light would not turn on. I jiggled the switch above my brakes and the car started right up. Thanks Nissanhelp!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
busywoman02720

I've had the same problems. I changed the battery in my intelligent key, replaced my car battery...still can't start the car without trying for about 10-20 minutes. I took it to the Nissa dealerhship today to find out what's going on. After about 2 hours they identified that it is the brake switch and brake harness. The car doesn't know that I am pressing on the brake so it won't start. They told me that Nissan is the only place that can fix it and it would cost $650.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Enthusiast

06,08 Pathfinder & Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by busywoman02720 View Post
I've had the same problems. I changed the battery in my intelligent key, replaced my car battery...still can't start the car without trying for about 10-20 minutes. I took it to the Nissa dealerhship today to find out what's going on. After about 2 hours they identified that it is the brake switch and brake harness. The car doesn't know that I am pressing on the brake so it won't start. They told me that Nissan is the only place that can fix it and it would cost $650.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you can fix it yourself with either contact cleaner and a Q-tip. If that don't work, buy a switch and reconnect.

I heard someone bought a replacement switch for $33 on Ebay.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 AM
PurpleCatz

Unhappy My 2009 Altima 2.5S Has Starting Issues?! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbsy07 View Post
I have a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 and today it would not start. When pressing the button it makes a noise like the starter is trying to feed off of the battery but nothing happens. I changed the battery and the same thing happened. Then I cleaned the terminals and still nothing happened. I had it jumped and it was fine, and turned it off and tried it without the jumper cables and it worked until the next time I turned it off and tried to restart it. I was told there was a loose connection somewhere between the starter and the positive terminal on the battery. I am clueless with what to check now. What could this be??? Please help with suggestions.
I believe this describes what I have experienced 3 times within 2 months apart. My '09 Altima was leased new, I'm at 41,000 miles now (so, yes, I'm out of my warranty. ). The problem is, I get into the car press the start button, and the car slowly dies. The lights on the console, radio, everything pretty much powers down. I try to give it a few more starts and the same thing happens. I have to get someone to jump me and then the car is fine again. When it first happened, I went to Auto Zone (auto supply store) and the rep there tested the battery. He tried it 3 times and the battery report each time came back that the battery was 'good'. I appreciate the fact that he could have still tried to push to sell me a new battery just to get a few bucks from a damsel in distress but he didn't. He said that it could be my alternator or the starter at that point. Of course being out of warranty, I knew if I went to the dealership I'd have to fork over at minimum $200 just for them to look at it and run tests...so I didn't go, but called them instead and explained the problem.

Since I've gotten my previous Altima there, they are a dealership I (kinda trust). The service rep told me that it could be some wiring that may not be working. He asked if my brake light comes on when I have had the non-starting issue. Of course I wouldn't know because I am in the car trying to get it to work...so he then tells me that the next time it happens, to get someone to look in the back of the car to see if the brake like comes on...if not then he told me what it could be, but I forgot what he called it.

So the incident happens yesterday....I'm at the gas station getting gas, get back into the car start it up and the same thing happens---powers down to dead. I get a service station to jump it and the guy says it IS in fact my battery. He brings me to his shop, tests the battery and says "yes, it's your battery." Of course now I'm confused because Auto Zone said it wasn't. He tells me it would cost me $125.99 for him to replace the battery...mind you Auto Zone's battery and install would have only been $89.00. So I felt that this guy was just attempting to sucker me so I thanked him for his help and told him I would be back.

So now I sit and wonder...what in the world I should do!? I don't have a lot of money to spend on car repairs right now...but I don't want to keep having this issue. I'm holding off on purchasing a new battery because the more I read forums the more I see it could in fact be a different issue and NOT a battery.

I've read on this forum that many who have had this issue or a similar one found it to be the brake wires?

Can someone please tell me what I should do and how i should go about fixing this situation?

I thank each of you in advance for all of your advice and suggestions!!! Happy Holidays!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2007 Altima
2008 Versa

Default Not the same thing

The issue raised by the previous poster is not the same as just not being able to start due to the brake light switch. The car will start, then slowly dies.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 AM
PurpleCatz

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveatl View Post
The issue raised by the previous poster is not the same as just not being able to start due to the brake light switch. The car will start, then slowly dies.
Yeah, that's not the same thing as my issue... Once it is jumped and started, it is good to go. No dimming of lights, nothing. That's why I am praying and hoping that it IS just the battery
Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 PM
2008 Altima

Default 2008 2.5 Altima wih same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCatz View Post
Yeah, that's not the same thing as my issue... Once it is jumped and started, it is good to go. No dimming of lights, nothing. That's why I am praying and hoping that it IS just the battery
I am having the same issue that you are describing and I cannot figure it out either. Have you found a solution to your problem yet? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:28 PM
PurpleCatz

Two weeks ago I purchased a new battery. I haven't had any issues yet. The car starts right up and is acting normal so far. In earlier posts, some folks did the same thing however they still experienced issues even after getting a new car battery, so I am hoping that this is just the issue and it is resolved with the new battery. I'll keep this thread posted if this should not work either.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM
2008 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCatz View Post
Two weeks ago I purchased a new battery. I haven't had any issues yet. The car starts right up and is acting normal so far. In earlier posts, some folks did the same thing however they still experienced issues even after getting a new car battery, so I am hoping that this is just the issue and it is resolved with the new battery. I'll keep this thread posted if this should not work either.
Thanks! I appreciate the quick reply. I'm going to hold out a little while longer before I buy a new battery to see if I can come up with anything else. If I do, I'll definately post the results.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 AM
2008 Altima

Default 2.5 Altima with same problem

PurpleCatz,
Right after your last post, I cleaned the battery posts and the cable connectors. Neither of them looked dirty or corroded, but I cleaned them anyway. I have not had a problem since. Even last night when the temp dropped to about 12 degrees here, it started fine this morning. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM
2008 Altima

hi there my nissan peeps...i too am having problems w my 2008 nissan as well...it doesnt want to start and yes when i push it it wont feed to start....and it does give like a clicking noise for a sec....BUT i notice when i pump my brakes till it tightens it starts...i dont know how but it seems to start every time...now i know thats not normal...i just want it fixed man!!!its a major headache...i just want my ride to be normal!!!lol!...please let me know if ne one has found the problem!!!because i too cant afford to take it to a dealership cuz of the cost and hassle they will give...but much appreciated!!

Tags
2008, altima, nissan, start