Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
possible sheet metal damage due to paint? Forums > > possible sheet metal damage due to paint? possible sheet metal damage due to paint?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
youzi

Default possible sheet metal damage due to paint?

Hi. Today when i was coming back from work, i stopped by at a local mall to grab something, but i accidently opened my altima coupe door too wide and hit the black door handle of a 95 civic, which led to a black mark on my white altima's door. After i got home, i rinsed that area with water, cleaned it with quick detailer, then clay bar-ed the area. Though most of the black mark is gone, there is still some small bits left, i just want to make sure that it is only cosmetic damage, nothing more serious. (i used my fingers and felt the area, there were no pits, seems to be even with rest of the painted areas). Thanks!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima

I'm not sure what the question in your comment is? Paint transfer from hitting another car almost always is coupled with a deep scratch. You might want to try "scratch doctor", this excellent inexpensive cream has saved me thousands of dollars in body work. Re-apply 2-3 times depending on how deep the scratch is. Lets us know how that goes!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
youzi

sorry, i was not clear with myself. I want to know that if i did not feel any indentation, that means no paint will continue to chip off, or no metal rust will occur correct?
THanks!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima

Without seeing the damage to your vehicle my opinion is not false safe however, from what you have explained you have nothing to worry about.

Modern cars and specially the 2009 Altima coupe have paint that consists of several layers, each of which has a different job to do. Steel Panels on your Altima are treated with zinc phosphate coating which provides a very effective barrier against rust. Furthermore, your altima gets a coat of primer which provides more corrosion protection, along with a good base for the colour coat itself in addition to water-thinnable paints, which are applied electrostatically. Considering that fact that there are no pits and only a paint transfer has occurred, your fine!

Tags
damage, due, metal, paint, sheet