Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2003 altima 2.5s hard to start Forums > > 2003 altima 2.5s hard to start 2003 altima 2.5s hard to start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM
2003 Altima Sedan

Angry 2003 altima 2.5s hard to start

I have a 2003 nissan altima 2.5s with 147,000 miles ... The OBD code showing is P0301... This weekend I installed new spark plugs and swapped the coil wires on #1 And the #3 spark plug ( the spark plug next to #1)... Is the firing order and cylinder number different or the same...??? I did replace the pcv valve, crank and cam sensors about a month ago... I also have the belt slap that I think it caused by the alternator pulley and I will be replacing the alternator . I did replace the belt tensioner a week ago... The pre cat was replaced about 10,000 miles ago because of the dreaded p4020 code... About a month ago the car became hard to start some times it runs fine once started except for the car stalling at stops with a load on the electrical system ( I think this is due the the alternator pulley issue )... The car run good at road speed but tries to stall at stops and for prolonged idling. I don't know if I need to replace the fuel pump or if the fuel injector is going bad... Please give me some opinions on the reason why I have been having a hard time getting my car to start.... Thank you
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. The cyl. are 1,2,3,4 not the same as the firing order which I think you already know.
2. Start with your Starting and Charging system. First your battery, batt. connection to the starter. Test to be sure 12v is delivered to the starter. Check batt. neg. cable to chassis and engine block, loosen and re-tightened if need be. At idle, test alternator for output at full load.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 AM
2003 Altima Sedan

Thanks for the response bennyb53...The car turns over but seems to be starved for fuel... I was able to get it started but restarting was a hit or miss throughout the day... I will check out the connections as you suggested... One thing I did notice is with the car in park and idling if I put the windows up or down and keep the window button pressed down I notice the RPMs drop down and if I don't let up on the window button the car stalls. I had taken the car to auto zone because the SES light came on... The fellow at auto zone told me it was because of a cylinder #1 misfire that is why I replaced the spark plugs and switched the coil wires (spark plug wires). I had the fellow at auto zone check the alternators output... He told me the alternator was charging at 13 volts at a idle... Swapping the coil wires and putting in the new spark plugs did not solve the starting issue.How do I troubleshoot the fuel injector for the #1 cylinder...??? Can I swap the fuel injector like I did with the coil wire...??? Thank you for you guidance.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Alternator could be your problem. 13v at idle is too low. You should be getting 14.25 - 14.50 load or no load. No sense swapping injectors.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Enthusiast
1995 Maxima
2002 Altima
1997 Maxima GLE

I've also had hard start conditions caused by fuel pressure leak down which was caused by a faulty fuel pump, however, this was on a Maxima and replacing the fuel pump did solve the problem but was also an inexpensive fix.

On Maxima's there also is an external fuel filter, but the Altima's is located in the tank with the fuel pump, and from what I remember, is not replaced without replacing the pump.

benny is correct, 13 is too low. If you have access to another car and a volt meter, check the voltage on a running car and see what the voltage is. Now compare that to yours. if yours is truly just 13, then that is a problem.
2012 Altima (daughter - replaced 2002 with 8 miles, now with almost 30,000 miles)

Tags
2.5s, 2003, 25s, altima, hard, start