Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Nissan Altima 2005 2.5S steering feels tight ?? Please Help.? Forums > > Nissan Altima 2005 2.5S steering feels tight ?? Please Help.? Nissan Altima 2005 2.5S steering feels tight ?? Please Help.?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 PM
altima_fan

Angry Nissan Altima 2005 2.5S steering feels tight ?? Please Help.?

I recently purchased a Nissan Altima 2005 2.5S . It has 69.000 Kms on it and is Auto Trans. Recently the Steering feels stiff and heavy. Specially when you take a complete turn it feels tight. Please advise what could be the problem. Somone on nissanclub.com forums told me that it could be the U-joint that needs to be replaced.
Please advise if it is a U-Joint problem and how much will it cost me. I live in UAE in the Persian Gulf. I hope its not a power steeering pump problem.
Also I have checked the Power Steering fluid and the level is OK and their are no leaks whatsoever.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Before replacing any parts you should do an alignment first. Out of alignment suspension can produce similar symptoms. Also, if the alignment is perform properly, it should detect if any suspension parts are damage or worn out.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
jmiss

Default Same exact steering issue

I have 75,000 miles on my Altima and just recently have been getting the "tight turns" and hard steering symptoms. It is winter and you cannot miss every pot hole in the road but this concerns me. The car has never given me one mechanical issue (until now).

Sounds like the alignment is the first thing to do.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 AM
altima_fan

Angry Will the alignment fix the steering issue ?

I am just wondering if the Alignment will fix the steering tightness issue ?
On youtube there is a video regarding the Fornt Wheel Drive Steering Rack. The guy mentions that if there is tightness in the steering one should check the U-Joint. And this was also told to me by someone in nissanclub.com forums.

Please check out the Front Wheel Drive Video below @ 7.08. He clearly mentions the U-Joint.

YouTube - Fundamentals Of Front Wheel Drive - 1 of 2

For NissanTech: Please advise if the Altima 2005 has a Rack and Pinion type Steering.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by altima_fan; 02-18-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 PM
jmiss

I took my altima to a local simple repair shop for an oil change and mentioned the steering just to bait them into looking at it. They said it was the power steering pump and the rack. Both had to be replaced for a little over $1,000. I said no thanks, and called a good friend in the business. I described the symptoms and then let him drive it and said he thinks it is the U joint. I made my appointment with him and I'm having it fixed on Tuesday morning. He also said about $300 or less. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the link to the U tube flick. Any news on yours?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

The Altimas are known for the steering knuckle to seize cause the stiff steering. Especiaclly in the parts where corrosion is high when using salt in winter and salt water from the ocean. I would bet it is your steering knucle. If it is make sure you get a wheel alignment. I hope this helps
Old 02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
jmiss

I'm a phone guy, so let me ask a stupid question. Is the "knuckle" the same as the U joint?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Yes it is the same. The u-joint is apart of the knuckle
Old 02-21-2009, 06:39 PM
jmiss

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

here is a pic if u want to see it

The upper and lower ball joint studs extend through openings in the steering knuckle. Nuts are threaded onto the ball joints studs to retain the ball joints to the knuckle, and the nuts are secured with cotter pins. When the steering wheel is turned, the steering gear and linkage turn the steering knuckle. During this action, the steering knuckle

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
jmiss

I had the U joint fixed last week. Cost me only $279 total.

He said they do see these go on Altimas. Better than paying $1,000 and still having the problem when done. Whew!! Good Luck and thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:33 PM
delster

Smile U JOINT diagnosis and warranty

The other day I googled nissan altima stearing tight and arrived at this site. The contributors comments helped me feel confident that the problem with my stearing was the U joint. After having just shelled out about 1400 in a local garage for tie rods etc. the thought of more money on car repairs was not exciting. Took the car to the dealership. I had bought a good extended warranty and much to my surprise the U joint was replaced under the warranty so cost me nothing to fix. I suggest you check to see if you have such coverage before shelling out more dough. Being a female and not automotive savy, there was further concern (fear of the unknown) that I was going to take it to the shop and be "taken". Reading all the posted comments helped to give me the confidence I needed to address the issue. My thanks to all of you.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

On the Altimas the steering knuckle/u-joint in question is the lower steering column joint that connectes the steering column to the rack and pinion. Very common on the altimas any yearbefore 2007 that I am aware of.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM
delster

Default If you are versed in this pls let me know.

....follow up from previous submission. The tie rods were done just 1.5 wks ago, alignment done at that time. When Nissan tho replaced the U joint (knuckle) my steering wheel is crooked. They said it was like that, when I know it wasn't. They said it needed alignment, but it just had one.

I am going to take my Nissan bill to the place who did the alignment and see what they have to comment and depending on what is said there, I guess I will return to nissan to see if they can do something about it.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 AM
ShadowbaneX

I've been having a similar issue with my 3.5 2005 Nissan Altima. I bought it used (60,000km) in febuary of 2009 and I noticed the problem starting just as the was winter was ending, but before I could get in to have it looked at, (and this is rather significant, to me at least) it disappeared. The temperature went up, the problem went away and I didn't think of it any more...that is, until now.

Since October, when the temperature started to drop again, it's come back. It's there when I first start up the car, but (and here's this temperature thing again), as soon as the car gets warm, it disappears and the steering goes back to normal.

Most people are getting their winter tires put on, so I book an appointment today for two weeks from today, but I'm wondering are they going to tell me steering pump and $1000 or should I tell them that it's probably this u/knuckle joint issue that's causing it or does this temperature variable mean it's possibly something else?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Tags
2005, 25s, altima, feels, nissan, steering, tight