Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Nissan Altima 2005 2.5S steering feels tight ?? Please Help.? Forums > > Nissan Altima 2005 2.5S steering feels tight ?? Please Help.? Nissan Altima 2005 2.5S steering feels tight ?? Please Help.?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 11-17-2009, 06:18 PM

2002 Altima SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcast View Post
On the Altimas the steering knuckle/u-joint in question is the lower steering column joint that connectes the steering column to the rack and pinion. Very common on the altimas any yearbefore 2007 that I am aware of.
Well, I was one who had their u joint changed also and the problem went away. This had nothing to do with the steering knuckle and was the u joint in the steering shaft. Do a search on Nissanclub, they have some pictures of the part in question.....
Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 PM
ShadowbaneX

I'll be taking my car in this saturday, any one got any advice if this is a weather related issue?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM

2002 Altima SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
I'll be taking my car in this saturday, any one got any advice if this is a weather related issue?
It's rust/lubrication related, however, often as the weather get colder, the problem is magnified....
Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM
ShadowbaneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohnny View Post
It's rust/lubrication related, however, often as the weather get colder, the problem is magnified....
So it's probably not the knuckle joint then? So far I've seen no indications of rust, at least on the surface. Actually, I had a bit of an accident and had to get my front end replaced and the shop left the car sitting outside in the wet & snow for about a week and the breaks have been squeaking ever since and there is rust on those.

So what needs to be fixed then? Or should I just take my car in and get the shop's opinion?
Old 11-25-2009, 02:04 PM

2002 Altima SE

Here's all you'll need to know. It's the universal joint on the steering shaft. Check this thread, I think there's even a part number in there iirc.
Help! Steering problem - Nissan Forums: Nissan Enthusiast Forum
Old 11-26-2009, 08:22 PM
2004 Altima

I had similar problem. Mechanic lubricated the universal joint on the steering column and the problem went away.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:25 PM

2002 Altima SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajotar View Post
I had similar problem. Mechanic lubricated the universal joint on the steering column and the problem went away.
It'll come back but that's at least a cheap temporary fix for the time being.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:20 PM
ShadowbaneX

that definately looks like it's the issue then. I wonder if knowing these prices I'll be able to talk them down a little on the price of the replacement parts.

Just got it back, cost $260 cdn including labour and the steering is beautiful now. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by ShadowbaneX; 11-29-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:04 PM
gcuemjj23

Default Frozen Steering?

Hi there. I have been experiencing the same problem with my steering as well. I washed my car a couple of weeks ago and the temperature dropped to -40 C the next day (Winnipeg weather). Since then it has been cold and I've started having trouble turning my steering wheel. It would get better after about half an hour of driving. It has warmed up and my steering has been fine. I am taking it in on Monday to get checked and I mentioned to the mechanic that it may be the U Joint. Hopefully it is and it will not be too expensive. At first I thought that the steering difficulty was due to washing my car and the temperature dropping so fast.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
O'neal

Default hard steering 2005 Altima

I encountered hard steering intermittently as I turned on my 2005 Altima. After reading a few threads, people experiencing the same problem, I checked the shaft that connects the rack n pinion to the steering column. The u-joints appeared to be extrememly dry and tight. It was recommended to lube them up well, but I opted to change them completely. Problem solved. Parts were 127.00.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM
2004 Altima

Glad you got that resolved. I had the unit lubed about 3 years ago and it is still working great.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:02 PM
2005 Altima

Talking Tight steering

Nissan friends,

As you can tell by my user name, I hate to spend money at a car dealership. The steering on my 2005 Altama 3.5 was stiff just as yours is. My warranty expired two years ago, so I'm on my own. Before I spent $150.00 for the dealership just to look at it, I went out on my own, read all of the forums and waited to see what would happen. One morning on my way to work my street was flooded. After 1/4 mile of 3" deep water, my steering returned to normal. I thought "yes, I fixed it." It is now a month later and the problem returned. As someone else said a few years ago, "....use "...WD40 on the u-joints & bushings ......" I put my car on jack stands and sprayed the u-joints on the steering colum and joints in the illustration that was provided and my steering problems have gone away again...... we'll see. Let me know what you did. TW. My disclaimer: I know nothing about cars...at all, anything and/or everything you do is at your own risk.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM
2004 Altima

Default Nissan altima 2004

Hi, I am also having the Stiff steering issue for last 1 week, Previously it was running fine but all of a sudden it started, It struck at certain angles while taking a left or right turn. I flushed Power steering liquid but still have this issue.

Please let me know if you have any idea whats causing this
Old 07-07-2018, 05:56 PM
2003 Altima Coupe

Default Altima steering issues

I have a 2003 Altima and was experiencing the same tightness in the steering like some of you. Now this is just a temporary fix because eventually the part will need to be replaced before it all goes south on you. I can only speak about my experience. Your steering issues may lie elsewhere, so don't take my advice as gospel. That being said, in the morning I would find the wheel hard to turn and with no spring action. At first I thought it was a pump issue but saw that my fluids were fine and had no leaks. I also thought that it may have been a ball joint issue but that wasn't it. It turned out o be a lower steering column issue. This was good news to me because it was readily accessible and conspicuous. And I didn't need to spend more than mere dollars to fix it.
Now all you have to do is pop the hood, look behind the block under the dash and you will see the lower drive shaft. What I saw was a rusted, somewhat corroded joint there. You may need a flashlight to see the joint but it is unmistakable. All you need to do is spray it with a lubricant. Now you can use Sea Foam- which is pretty good on most applications- WD-40, or PB Blaster- a greaser and lubricant- probably the best of all three. This should tie you over for a little while as you save your money to have the part replaced.

Tags
2005, 25s, altima, feels, nissan, steering, tight