Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Rattle Noise on cold start up Forums > > Rattle Noise on cold start up Rattle Noise on cold start up
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM
buckeye3.5L

Default Rattle Noise on cold start up

Noise is pretty loud then immediatley quiets after about 30 seconds...doesn't sound like valve tappet, or chain noise....would worn belts cause this....2005 3.5L with 97,000 miles
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

How's your oil level? If it's lower than you thought, look for the grim reaper in your rearview mirror...

Pre-Cat Engine Killer...things I should have noticed

and even if your oil is up...watch out for this one

Nissan Techs - Need Your Input on This (Altima VQ Cam-Chain/Tensioner)
Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 AM
buckeye3.5L

Oil level is good.....always topped off
Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM
buckeye3.5L

Mac1,
after reading your thread, my car exhibits none of the symptons your describing. I had a Caddy that made the same noise, and turned out to be a bad serpentine belt....there is no smell, no smoke, no burning oil, no hesitation, starts fine, runs great. Might even be pully noise, thing is it doesn't last that long and doesn't continue when engine is warm and while running. You can hardly hear the engine running at idle.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

"there is no smell, no smoke, no [visibly] burning oil, no hesitation, starts fine, runs great" -- and I still needed a new engine, but glad to hear your oil is good etc.

Now, I tend to agree, it's probably a bearing somewhere most likely water pump or power steering.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

Check this thread to for the VTC rattle

Nissan Altima Engine Rattle - CarSpace Automotive Forums

some similar issues
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/ntb03-060.pdf
Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Also check the type of oil filter you now have installed. If it's an aftermarket try a nissan or pureolator gold and check the results.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech22 View Post
Also check the type of oil filter you now have installed. If it's an aftermarket try a nissan or pureolator gold and check the results.
Good idea ... Tech22, what do you think of the NAPA Gold (same as high end "Wix") oil filter as another option? Purolator Gold was one I also had my eyes on. Probably can't go wrong with the Nissan oil filter.

Last edited by Altima SSS; 02-11-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Enthusiast

2003 Altima

Altimas are known for doing this. There is a valve in the intake area that makes this noise when the engine is cold. Mine does the same thing. There is a tech tipsheet about this, which i have at home on how to fix this. It includes taking the valve out and using a type of epoxy to secure it.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:07 AM
buckeye3.5L

Default BELTS!!!

Here is a good one,,,talked to a local mech. he said spray some water on the belts during start up....if the sound immediatley changes,,,its belts...guess what noise stopped right away....he says they can sound like metal rattle becuase of the way they wear....
Old 02-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvip View Post
Altimas are known for doing this. There is a valve in the intake area that makes this noise when the engine is cold. Mine does the same thing. There is a tech tipsheet about this, which i have at home on how to fix this. It includes taking the valve out and using a type of epoxy to secure it.
the butterfly flap for the VIAS that in the Upper Intake Manifold is not it cause i had that removed and im still getting the noise at start up but not for 30 sec more like few seconds, which are the vlaves is my guess. time chains maybe your cause i would have some one chekc it out

have u just recently noticed this noise? have u changed or done something, and then the noise came. i think im gonna try tech22 idea and get an oem flter cause i heard from a few techs here state this, it may be an issue with some noise im started getting

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 02-13-2009, 05:21 AM
buckeye3.5L

Default Geez

Ok, so why when you saturate the belt area with a little water, the sound changes and immediatley goes away. I've read several threads from other sites talking about belt chattering, sounding like rubbing metal, rattle noise. Like I said before I had the same noise from my Caddy, I swore it was a bearing or lifter, once the serpentine belt was changed, the noise never came back.....anyone here got a take on that. By the way, since I'm new to the site I need some verification, is pre-cat mean pre catasrophic failure? or something else? I'm going to have both belts changed and see what happens.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

pre-cat is short for pre-catalytic converter.

Our engines have three catalytic converters. Two are integrated directly into the exhaust headers, and a third main cat roughly under the shift lever.

The pre-cats heat quickly and take care of cold engine emissions.

nissan pre-cat failure picture - Google Image Search
Old 02-14-2009, 11:11 PM
NissanToronto

I have exactly same noise problem described here in my Maxima 04. It started a few weeks ago. When I start the car the noise is pretty loud, but once warm it decreases. However, when I press accelaration the noise comes back again...Only after driving for about 20 min it completely goes away. Is it a belt???? sounds like a noise created by a metal or smth....please Advise!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:07 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Check the heat shields on the cats.Hot and cold.

Tags
cold, noise, rattle, start