Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Rattle Noise on cold start up Forums > > Rattle Noise on cold start up Rattle Noise on cold start up
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM
NissanToronto

Sorry, what exactly are the shields I need to check? Can I check them myself, or better have a technician do that? What could be wrong with the shields? and if thats a reason for a noise, how do i fix it?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanToronto View Post
Sorry, what exactly are the shields I need to check? Can I check them myself, or better have a technician do that? What could be wrong with the shields? and if thats a reason for a noise, how do i fix it?
There is a Service Bulliten about the heat sheilds coming loose. Go to the Service Bulletin section and look in your model year for the TSB about rattling noise. That's probably what it is.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=259
Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 AM
buckeye3.5L

Default Mine was the forward belt

Noise I had was the front drive bellt, I believe the one that runs the air cond. and alternater,,,,cracked split and was about to break.....replaced both belts yesterday and the noise was gone instantly. Hard to imagine how much those belts sound like metal rattling.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:19 PM
NissanToronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye3.5L View Post
Noise I had was the front drive bellt, I believe the one that runs the air cond. and alternater,,,,cracked split and was about to break.....replaced both belts yesterday and the noise was gone instantly. Hard to imagine how much those belts sound like metal rattling.
How much did it cost you to replace those belts? And what model u drive?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanToronto View Post
How much did it cost you to replace those belts? And what model u drive?
The 2005 Altima 2.5 engines have 1 serpentine belt if my understanding is correct, however the 3.5 engines in the altima and maxima have more, not sure how many. The belt is inexpensive, i purchased one from NAPA in Toronto for about $20. It's the installtion thats diffuclut, i installed it myself, took about 2 hours with no formal training, just usuing guides and common sense. If you plan on installing the belts with a mechanic expect at least $160 for the 3.5 engines and $80 for the 2.5's. More belts = More cost.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I highly doubt a belt causes the rattle noise on cold start up, after replacing my spark plugs with NGK and usuing high quality oil filter did the noise subside. I would think a worn out serpentine belt would continue to make sounds even when the car is at operting tempreture.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkid667 View Post
The 2005 Altima 2.5 engines have 1 serpentine belt if my understanding is correct, however the 3.5 engines in the altima and maxima have more, not sure how many.
I know the 2002 - 2006 VQ (3.5L V6) has two belts - probably the same on all year VQs. One drives the alternator A/C compressor and the other drives the power steering pump. The water pump is located inside the front cover and is driven by the main cam-chain.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 AM
buckeye3.5L

Default belt pricing

I had NTB do the belts.....they took the front right wheel off, removed the wheel liner, he had a little problem breaking loose the tension bolts but finally got both belts installed. Cost was about 80.00 not including the belts. I got those @ NAPA to save time. Time on their books said about an hour.....he did it just under 45 minutes. It would be difficult to do without it being on a lift....at least in my mind.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima

Quote:
I had NTB do the belts.....they took the front right wheel off, removed the wheel liner, he had a little problem breaking loose the tension bolts but finally got both belts installed. Cost was about 80.00 not including the belts. I got those @ NAPA to save time. Time on their books said about an hour.....he did it just under 45 minutes. It would be difficult to do without it being on a lift....at least in my mind.
Using a lift would have been 100% easier yes, however I improvised and still did the job. I have battle scars from chaining that belt, scrapes, burns lol. No amount of money can buy you the feeling you get when you problem solve and do your own mechanical work.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 PM
NissanToronto

Quote:
Sorry for stupid questions: what is NTB and NAPA stand for?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 AM
buckeye3.5L

Default local auto service and parts store

NTB= National Tire and Battery....NAPA is National....geez I'm not sure...its a nationwide parts chain here in the states
Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 PM
NissanToronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech22 View Post
Check the heat shields on the cats.Hot and cold.
In my case the noise was from the Heat Shields...a piece of the shield was just hanging loose...I had that piece removed and the noise is gone....The mechanic guy told me I could drive without the shield...So, now I have no noise and no shield down there...I feel a bit concerned since technically something was removed and was not replaced properly...
Please Nissan Techs advise if I need to have a new shield installed and what would happen if I leave it as is.???
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

Unless you're in the habit of parking on lots of dry grass I wouldn't worry about it...those heat shields are 'disposable'.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 PM
2004 Maxima

I know this thread is old but Iam new . Is Nissan liable for fixing this heat shield issue ?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM
2003 Maxima
2005 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech22 View Post
Also check the type of oil filter you now have installed. If it's an aftermarket try a nissan or pureolator gold and check the results.
Installed the Pureolator Gold just like you said.. (The dealer was closed)... Rattle noise on cold start up is gone. Thanx for the info
Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
2008 Versa
2008 Versa SL

timing chain, thats what you need, 3.5? more specifically main chain slack guide, it is broken and the chain tensioner has to work extra hard to make up for the extra slack

Tags
cold, noise, rattle, start