Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
No heat on Idle Forums > > No heat on Idle No heat on Idle
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

They are about $21.00 at the dealer.As far as installing it's not hard at all. Go to the cooling section of the service manual located at this site and take a look.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2003 Altima

My money is on a big ol' air bubble in the heater core. Do you hear any of the 'rushing water in the dash' noise, particularly on acceleration from idle?

Note the front trim skirt must be at least 2 feet off the ground when bleeding (per TSB). That's really high for the average driveway mechanic. I use a steep parking ramp at a nearby lot after hours... A little trig and a wheelbase of 71" says you need a min of 20' ramp or roughly 1 in 3 (ie if you hold a yardstick level, with one point resting on the ramp, then the end you are holding should be at least 12" off the ground).

Apparently there are 2 theromstats in the Altis...but if it heats up at higher rpms...I don't think you have blockage, and because the heat is fast to disappear, and I don't think you have a thermostat stuck open either...you engine's X litres of coolant would have more thermal mass than a small puddle in your heater core (hence would take longer to cool down entire engine block from 'hot'). I don't think it's a vacumn issue either, as you have more engine vacumn at idle than at any other rpm.

Sorry for the ramble...

Last edited by d0ugmac1; 12-17-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

This is a timely post. Last week our temp went down to 10% below 0 Celsius. I think that is about 17% F. Thank you for the comments. Last winter when I posted this question I had a lot of options. I took the simple one. I replaced the top thermostat. So far the idle is holding up with the heater.So far all is fine. Yes there are 2 thermostats. One on top and one below on the block somewhere. Of course the suppler handed me the wrong one. It is best to go to Nissan dealership the tech just pulled up the schematics and gave me the correct thermostat. The top thermostat is always in stock.The bottom one has to be ordered. Therefore I think Nissan is aware of the problem. Thanks for the information. I just had to reply for the sake of others with the same problems. In my case I think that I was lucky with a good mechanic. Total labor cost $20.00 Gasket was fine or included?I forgot the price of the parts.The He is good with most problems. Our whole family gets his services when needed.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 AM
2002 Altima
1991 Maxima

Default No heat at idle.

I had the same problem with my Altima. I tried all the things written about earlier but with limited results. I finally decided to install a dedicated electric pump to circulate hot coolant through the heater core. This is the only thing that worked for me. I purchased mine from Amazon, they call it a vehicle heat pump.

Last edited by DIY; 01-11-2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: added reference
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 AM
brianx22

Bleeding the air out of the heater core worked for my wife's altima. I didn't even use the contraption described in the TSB. I put the car up on ramps with the nose pointed up in the air. Run the engine for a few minutes then stop and top of the radiator. Repeat....

I kept doing this until the "rushing water in the dash" noise that d0ugmac1 describes disappeared.

My heat works great now. Keep your overflow tank at proper levels.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:05 AM
2002 Altima
1991 Maxima

For some reason that did not work for me. The "rushing water in the dash" noise disappeared but the car still did not put out heat at idle. Tried everything else and was about to replace the heater core until the Vehicle Heat Pump saved me the hassle of ripping out my dash.

Last edited by DIY; 01-30-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM
2003 Sentra

Default 2003 nissan sentra

I have a 2003 nissan sentra I have no heat when idol. water pump changed thermostat changed fluid changed still no heat . oil is fine no smell of antifreeze when running. need some advice to find problem
Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Good chance that you need to replace your head gasket. Common problem.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 PM
2002 Altima
1991 Maxima

Dominiongirl, I have a 2002 Altima and had the same problem. I tried everything; changed the head gasket, the water pump, thermostat, lifted the front end to help remove air from the coolant. Flushing the heater core with a garden hose is the only thing that made some improvement which led me to believe that the heater core was clogged. Try it and see for yourself. If that's the case, you can either replace the heater core or install a dedicated heater core pump.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 AM
2010 Altima
2002 Altima

I have had this same problem for several years..I had the TSB performs, burped the system SEVERAL times, flushed the system, replaced BOTH thermostats...come to find out I have anti freeze small leak into heads causing air pockets..head gasket..until that is fixed will continue to get air into system...car in am starts rough until anti freeze burns out...
Old 05-04-2013, 10:56 PM
2002 Altima Sedan
1992 300ZX

Default no heat at idle

hello everyone .
I found out the main reasons for lost the heat at idle for Altima and Sentra .
I had fixed too many of them .
I can do the right repair witch is costs with parts and labor is 1000 $
if you live in new jersey and want to get your car fix , just contact me .

Last edited by irontech; 05-04-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Altima
2002 Altima

Smile no heat on idle

This is a very old thread. Must be at least 8 years old. I still have my 2002 Nissan. Very good car now at 156.000 km. In regards to no heat on Idle I never much pursued this after trying a lot of things. No change so far. Anyway winter is done. Just for your information, in case their are more problems with other makes of Nissan's. Just keep the fan speed at the low setting and the heat will keep coming. If you draw it to fast it will cool off. No explanation for this. It works fine for me.
Best to all.
It has been a long time

Tags
heat, idle