Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Need Expert: Replaced Bearings, now ABS, VCD, Brake Lights are on Forums > > Need Expert: Replaced Bearings, now ABS, VCD, Brake Lights are on Need Expert: Replaced Bearings, now ABS, VCD, Brake Lights are on
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 09-15-2020, 10:47 AM
2008 Altima Hybrid
2008 Altima Sedan

Default Need Expert: Replaced Bearings, now ABS, VCD, Brake Lights are on

Hello,

192k miles on the 2008 Altima Hybrid, the Passenger Front bearings were shot.

Could not unstick the bearing/hub assembly from the axel, had to cut the hub assembly off.

Replaced Axel, Replaced Hub assembly, re-assembled.

At one point, with the calipers off the rotors, I did press the brake (when I started the engine - I can't remember why I did that), so the brake piston fully extended. No Fluid leakage at all.

Cranked back the piston, re-assembled the wheel, turned on the car to test drive and:
  • Brake pedal very hard to press
  • Very poor stopping power
  • ABS, VDC, Brake warning lights on dash

Everything on brake system worked fine prior to this.

Replaced both ABS sensors in the front, No difference.

ODB2 Scanner (that can scan ABS) shows no codes. (Getting a better scanner to see if it can read them).

I read somewhere, but I can't find it, that when this happens you have to bleed the brakes, and you need to be connected to a computer to do that? Strange, but I'm willing to accept that.

I also read that if you replace one bearing, but not the other, then there could be a difference in the magnetic rings embedded in the hub assembly that cause the readings to be very different. If my ODB2 tool could read things, I guess I could verify this. Without the ODB2 tool, I'm just using a shotgun approach - something I don't have time to do.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ejsanch; 09-16-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:15 PM
2008 Altima Hybrid
2008 Altima Sedan

Well, the problem was the calibration of the Brake Stroke Sensor, which can only be re-calibrated with an uber-professional scanner tool on these Altima Hybrids.

Cost me $150.00 for one small calibration.

So let that be a lesson to you - if you press the brakes while the rotors are off, and the piston fully extends, it's going to affect the calibration of the Brake Stroke Sensor and your brakes will not work correctly until it is re-calibrated.

Tags
abs, bearings, expert, replaced, vcd