Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Which trans? Forums > > Which trans? Which trans?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 08-12-2018, 04:24 PM
2008 Altima Hybrid

Default Which trans?

Have a 2008 hybrid Altima and really love it. Thinking of getting another one, same year at a good price. I researched before I bought the first one, and researching again before I pull the trigger on number 2. Hoping the forum can shed light on the trans in a 2008. Does the 2008 have the 3rd generation Motor Generator #2 planetary reduction or is it like the 1st and 2nd generation with only a single planetary. (The generations are of course Toyota speak. Unsure if Nissan had any trans revisions since the hybrid line only ran 4 years.) Guess I'm too lazy/impatient to find the trans number and run it on the internet to see what pops up to possibly answer my own question.
Many thanks for your response!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:42 PM
2008 Altima Hybrid

Default I learned a lot...

I think I figured it out. The trans used in the Altima is the same as the one used in the Camry, not the Prius. This is the third generation Toyota drive line and did not hit the Prius for another 2 years (2009?). This is great news since the first 2 generations did not have that second planetary gearset; the Altima Hybrid trans has that marvelous 2nd planetary gearset. This CVT does not have that metal belt (Whew!) that goes kablewey on the non-hybrids and for which Nissan upped the trans warranty to 10 years, 120 kmiles. Instead it has a second planetary gearset and the final drive is a helical gear. This trans should last forever as long as the varnish on the MG field windings holdup and the trans fluid is changed before it completely looses its original fluid characteristics. I feel like I have found the Holy Grail when I examine the operation of this trans from a mechanical point of view. The gear set and MG set in this trans is well understood and developed technology. The controlling software can be the only weak spot as well as that varnish on the windings.

Come to think of it software seems to be the weakspot on modern cars. Smartkey and immobilizer problems and similar canbus gremlins degrade the driving experience and devalue the car.

I believe I would choose the Altima Hybrid drive line including that wonderfully developed and refined 4 cylinder as a model to build the ultimate modern car, just eliminate all the electronic gremlins and smartkey pox and I think you would have it.

Tags
trans