Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Nissan Altima won't start Forums > > 2005 Nissan Altima won't start 2005 Nissan Altima won't start
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 03-19-2017, 08:41 PM
2005 Altima Sedan

Default 2005 Nissan Altima won't start

I have a Nissan Altima 2005 2.5. it started overheating about a week ago. I noticed it had no coolant, my friend put coolant in it and it ran at a normal temperature. Then we noticed the car over heating again after about a day or two, checked and there was no coolant, it had leaked out. We put water (we live in Miami and don't use heater so I was told water is fine). Car cooled down and so basically we just kept doing this every day or two, adding water through radiator cap. Car was running normal. We did this for about a week. Then car started overheating but this time water didn't help to cool it down. My friend changed my radiator and both thermostats. And filled it with radiator fluid. He turned the car on but forgot to put the radiator cap back on and radiator fluid shot out. He put the cap and left it running for about 15 mins, it was running fine. Then he turned it off and about an hour later tried to turn the car on and it won't start. It sounds like it's gonna start and u can smell it getting gas but it just won't turn on. We paid a mechanic to come out and he did a compression test and said its a blown head gasket and that I have water in the cylinders. Can I just remove the water? How can I do this? Also I've been looking at the head gasket repair liquid and a lot of people swear by it. If I can get this baby to run for a few more months I'll be happy, I plan on changing this car in less than a year anyways and don't want to invest $1000 or more on a blown head gasket. Please help!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You can get the coolant out of the cylinders by removing the plug and cranking the engine, but, with a bad gasket, it will only leak back into the cylinders, again. The only correct fix is to remove the head, replace the head gasket...and I would recommend you send the head out to a machine shop to check for potential cracks and for straightness. If there is warpage or pitting to the deck of the head, it will need to be resurfaced, unless it is beyond repair. Bars Leak and similar products are, at best, temporary repairs but not permanent fixes. If the leak is not too bad, they may work for a while, but it sounds like your leak is pretty significant. Any reputable mechanic would advise you to fix it correctly and skip the "gimmicks."

Tags
2005, altima, nissan, start