Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Prevent 94 Altima Distributor oil short out ???? Forums > > Prevent 94 Altima Distributor oil short out ???? Prevent 94 Altima Distributor oil short out ????
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Nissan Altima Sedan Discussion Forum

Old 10-07-2007, 10:50 AM
nothot

Default Prevent 94 Altima Distributor oil short out ????

Someone suggested this for a 94 Dltima Distributor with the oil leak. Must be done before it shorts out. Worked for them.

Quote:
"my 94 had the same oil problem. Caused car to stall when oil got inside distributor. My mechanic drilled a small hole in base to let it drain. No more oil problem. ".
I wondered if any of the techs had heard of this and their opinion. If anyone knows where to drill the hole and what size bit to use I would be interested. Mine isn't leaking but might be a good preventative as this isn't my first distributor.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:33 PM
2015 Rogue

That will work to get rid of the oil however it will allow moisture to get inside the distributor.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:57 PM
nothot

Thanks mpe235 Since your going to loose the distributor to oil anyway seems like a pretty good option. Especially on the old Altimas that aren't worth much. It might keep a few more going. I like seeing them on the road. Some are rough but they are moving advertisements for Nissan longevity. Do you know anything about the size of hole or spot to drill. Do you drill the Cap ? Wouldn't that cause problems similar to a cracked distributor cap?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:27 AM
2015 Rogue

I would drill a 1/8 hole in the base of the distributor as close to the bottom as possible so gravity will help the oil run out.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
1994 Altima

Default distributor oil leak

hi
How critical to fix this oil leak around the distributor?
I have 205k miles already invested 1500$ to fix here and there.

What is oil doing around the electrical part, distributor has rotor and spark wires. Can some one tell me?

thank you.

Tags
altima, distributor, oil, prevent, short