Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
In Cabin Filter Replacement Forums > > > In Cabin Filter Replacement In Cabin Filter Replacement
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Altima Coupe Nissan Altima Coupe Discussion Forum

Old 09-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast
2008 Altima Coupe
2008 3.5SE Coupe,6sp

Smile In Cabin Filter Replacement

Hello all!

Just crawled out of the passenger boot in the Coupe, after replacing the "in-cabin filter". After 6months and 12k+ miles, the old one was full of all the crap you usually spend time wiping off your interior.

Earlier, I had checked with the local Kragen for pricing and they wanted $29.00 on special order. Figured the dealer would charge somewhere north of $50 and was happy to find it only cost $12. Went in for a regular service yesterday and smugly asked for the cabin filter to be changed. Good thing I was looking over the service writers shoulder when he entered 1/2 hr labor @$80 per . Geeez...how hard could it be? I found out.

Here's the drill:

1) With the passenger door open, remove the trim piece on the right side of the dash, above the glove box (GB). Pops off easily.

2) Remove 8 screws holding the GB in place. I used a cordless drill with a 4" phillips extension.

3) Remove the GB, being careful with the two small wire harnesses. They can be disconnected to move the GB out of the way, but it looks like a chore.

4) Find the bottom of the vertical, snap-off cover that holds the filter in place and remove it. I almost gave up on the whole project till I located this. It's on the tunnel side and I only found it by shining a light around and spotting the "snap" fitting on the bottom.

5) Pull the tab on the side of the filter, which, if it's like mine was, it will neatly tear off, leaving you staring at it and wondering what to do next.

6) Get some long nosed pliers (AKA, needle-nosed) and grab the side of the filter. Not easy to do, but the filter finally pulled out.

7) At this point, you will notice that the filter is a little over 10" square and the slot it fits into is about 6" high. Here's where you simply do what you gotta do to get it in. The filter is quite flexible and will "accordian" into where it belongs. I'm confident it returns to it's 10x10 dimension once inserted.

8) Replace the vertical cover and reinstall the GB.

9) Replace the trim piece.

As mentioned, this was my first time at this task, and I'm sure the next time 'round I should be able to cut at least 5min off my 1/2 hour time.

Ususal disclaimers apply, so be careful and don't come cryin' to me if you set off the passenger SRS.

Final note to Googler's of the future, trying to figure why the A/C on their "previously owned", neglected, 200k Coupe is not working well...check the in-cabin filter!

Cheers
Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Thank you stevewaclo!!

I have attached a couple of diagrams from the service manual to complement your tutorial.
Attached Thumbnails
In Cabin Filter Replacement-figure1-gif   In Cabin Filter Replacement-figure2-gif   In Cabin Filter Replacement-figure3-gif  
Old 12-15-2008, 06:28 PM
gedit

Thanks for the detailed instructions!! I had to find out my self how frustrating this was. It's not the fact that the dealer would have charged about $80 to do this job what's bothering me, is how bad they screw up taking it out and putting back. Because it is really not a 'user friendly' to say the least. So I am glad I did it.
I have to say that the diagrams posted here are not entirely helpful, and trying to follow what you’ve written wasn't straight forward either (pardon me but pictures could have helped a little). So I am attaching some pictures which should help allocating the filter compartment, because for me, that was the hardest and the most frustrating part... Like you, I was ready to give up..

Also it wasn't a smooth removal of the filter, but surpassingly enough, inserting the new one was much easier...

Finally, if any of you wonder why the GB door won't snap like it was prior to the filter replacement, make sure you have reviewed the lower and inner screw and re-screw again. Screwing the upper screws will actually re-fit the GB in place and so you might find out that once the GB has been pushed some more, the lower and inner screws have some more room to go in (need to tighten them).
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
In Cabin Filter Replacement-altima08_filter-jpg  
Old 12-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

you can clean out your new filter every 4 weeks and make it last longer.... once the dust is settled its harder to use a vacum or compressed air to clean.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
2008 Altima Coupe
2008 3.5SE Coupe,6sp

Smile It's Easy!!

Was getting time to replace the cabin filter and since it's been a while, I decided to revisit this posting to refresh my memory...Gedit has added some much needed photos and a simpler approach to the procedure. Thanks!!

Anyway, as he and I observed, the biggest issue with replacement is figuring out where the filter is located. I knew that from my own "pull the glove box" exercise, but using Gedit's pics, I crawled into the boot to do it his way. That's when I realized you don't even need to pull the side panel!!

Put on your LED headlamp, push the seat all the way back, recline the seatback as far as it will go and, with your feet up in the air over the seat back, lay down in the footwell. The cover for the filter is just above the front end of the side panel! Pop off the cover (release latch at bottom), pull the old filter and compress the new one into the slot. It's a tight fit, but the filter expands to proper shape when it's in. Gedit mentions observing the air-flow arrow, but the filter I just bought at the Nissan dealer did not indicate an airflow direction.

Sincere apologies to everyone who busted there knuckles using my first suggestion, and I'm especially sorry for anybody who may have set off their passenger side SRS airbag.

Also, guihuomao, WTF does your post have to do with changing the cabin filter?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 PM
2008 Altima Coupe
2008 Rogue

Default Altma coupe cabin filter replace

I changed it my self today i used 3 old pillows one for the knees to neal into the pass side door and one to cushion the
rib cage over the door sill andone to cushion my elbow.
It helps if you remove the console side panel and also if your right handed...using a mirror and a flash light i removed the
plastic retangular cover you now can see the end of the white filter...pull the white removal tab carefully so it doesnt break off and ge a good grip on the body of the filter now you can remove it in one piece.....after removal vaccuum the area then
insall the new filter squeezing and pushing in onceyou get half way it goes right in.....b sure to have the removal tab in the same position as the old one. When you reinstall the black
plastic cover you have to butt in the back first and then press
forward to the snap and press .....if done correctly you will
hear a nice loud snap.....this took me several tries so be patient you will not get it on te first try....if you lay the black cover piece flush in the openning and press you will not
get the loud snap....give youself plenty of time so you are not rushed or pressured ....took me about an hour wth several breaks ( i am 71 years old ) next time it will be less....the key here is patience....you can do it!!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast
2008 Altima Coupe
2008 3.5SE Coupe,6sp

Default Seniors rule!!

TONYJETT:

Congrats on upholding the dignity of seniors by doing your own cabin filter replacement!! I'm 65 and when I recently replaced the filter cover in my wife's Coupe, I thought the "loud snap" you mentioned came from the area of my cervical spine.

Best wishes!!

Steve
Old 01-29-2010, 03:45 PM
2003 Altima

ROFL stevewaclo!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima Coupe
2009 Altima Coupe

just did this, the filter was $9 same one said NISSAN on it the numbers matched. No need to remove the glove compartment just slide up under and take the side panel off like described above. Took less than 20 mins.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
2008 Altima Coupe

Default Changed my today

Changed mine today. The new one did not have the removal tab on it. Anyone else notice this?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima Coupe
2009 Altima Coupe

Default missing tag

took awhile to get back here but yes mine didn't have a tag either. Guess they found they didn't need them anymore.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast
2008 Altima Coupe
2008 3.5SE Coupe,6sp

Wow, been a long time since I visited this thread and feel really foolish I once recommended tearing apart the globe box to R&R the cabin filter.

Just did mine again after 3 years (������) and it was nasty.

Can’t help wonder how cabin filter sales compare to cars with such. Of course with so many filter manufacturers, getting numbers might be tough but I suspect with so many lazy owners like me, there are many, many more vehicles with filters than actual sales.

Tags
cabin, filter, replacement