View Single Post

Old 07-08-2016, 08:26 AM
2003 Sentra

Well I'm part way thru this job and ran into a problem... Seems my puny compressor doesn't have enough wind in it to do the step where you advance the cam so you can insert a pin to lock it in the most advanced position. Followed all the tips in the FSM to get it to cooperate (e.g., jiggle camshaft via the hex with a wrench, lightly tap sprocket with a hammer) to get the pin loose.

Short of picking up a real compressor and plugging away at it, does anyone have other ideas? I read here that some of you that have done this job skipping the compressor/cam advance step without any ill effects - how did you do it?

EDIT: I borrowed a friend's air compressor today and managed to get the cam out; went exactly as described in the FSM without any snags - just needed a compressor with more PSIs to blow that pin loose!

Now on to cleaning everything up, measuring the head & block deck for flatness and putting it all back together. Looks flat & feels flat, don't think I'll need to get any machine shop work done on the head.

Last edited by pete_89t2; 07-09-2016 at 02:21 PM.