View Single Post

Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

One should note, the compressor clutch cycles "on" and "off" by design. It's hard to determine by your description if it is not operating properly or just normal operation. If the clutch didn't cycle, the high pressure side could get too high until a hose would burst.
There should be two hoses on the reservoir, both at the bottom. A larger hose is called the "suction hose" and runs from the reservoir to the pump. A smaller hose services as a return hose and runs from the metal line back to the reservoir.
When these trucks get older, hoses will harden or dry rot and clamps can lose tension. Crimps on pressure hoses can also start to leak. Sometimes you can tighten or replace a clamp but sometimes you need to replace the hose. I recently bought a 2003 Frontier SVE and just about everything but the steering box was leaking! It has 197,000 miles, though. The suction hose is still available from Nissan, but the return hose to the reservoir is only available if you buy an entire power steering line setup, which I did because it made more sense, in the long run and since I was pulling the radiator out, it made it easier. You can use bulk, 3/8" ID, power steering hose, though, for the return hose. Also check the front seal on the P/S pump and around the pump body gasket, as they commonly leak, as well. Pump reseal kits are cheap and not too hard to rebuild. Also, don't use "clear" power steering fluid. Stick with automatic transmission fluid, like Dexron III/Mercon.