View Single Post

Old 07-22-2015, 06:06 AM
2005 Xtrail

Default The screw on the left

I recall that screw (10mm head with a Phillips screwdriver option?) and imagining that it would be hard to access. If you take off all of the "easy" dashboard covers — and I do mean the easy ones, you will have access. I think I used a finger-length extender on my small ratchet.

Regarding the little twin wires that run across the front of the housing: I left them intact.

When I got my fan motor out, I discovered that my main problem was the brushes were shot. Hard to believe the guys above replaced the bearings and didn't check the brushes. I've got to think they also were about done.

Problem: where to get brushes? Nissan won't even sell just the motor. I couldn't easily locate any brushes, then I found a new motor on eBay. $80 USD, with free shipping to a nearby state-side shipper/receiver.

The bearing ends have a different look than the original… I guess the after-market guys have made some workarounds.

After a week of use, it's running just fine. If it lasts 200Km, that will be about right.

Not a job I want to repeat any time soon — but doable for the patient person with time on their hands. If I did it again, I think I'd use 3-4 different coloured paint pens and mark each screw/bolt and where it came from… a separate colour for each type of screw.

Update Aug 8: My eBay Chinese motor is still working great.

Last edited by barstewart; 08-08-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Confirming the fix still works