Thread: Key Replacement
View Single Post

Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 AM
2004 Altima

Post To help save you time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmnj View Post
I had my only key to my 1999 Nissan Altima stolen - how do I get it replaced and how much do you think it will cost?
Any help would be great
After spending way too much time looking for a sane (read: NOT rapacious pricing scam) alternative to dealers and locksmiths, I posted my findings on Facebook for my friends. As a contribution to this community, I will paste it here too. I hope anybody in need finds this useful.

Just an FYI to save my friends some pain, if the need should arise to get any spare transponder auto keys or replacement keyless entry / alarm fobs for these newer cars. First, if you go to the dealer, prepare to be raped. You can easily find blank keys for ~$10 - $15 online. You still need to get them cut; however it's the programming of the transponder in the key is where they get you. If you have 2 working keys, you can do this yourself by following a process in your drivers seat once you get a blank and have it cut (most any hardware store can do this for a couple bucks). See the linked video. In my case, I only ever had the one key, so I called a nearby ACE hardware and was quoted $62 for the key, cut and programmed. Thank you nerd boy!

Second, as far as the alarm fobs, the dealers will screw you to the wall; sometimes hundreds of dollars. I found a backup for mine on eBay for $20, including shipping. NEW KEYLESS REMOTE FOB 02-06 NISSAN ALTIMA MAXIMA 350Z INFINITI G35 KBRASTU15 | eBay

This all started with me looking for a replacement for my Audiovox remote starter; From Audiovox $65 +S&H. eBay, $11 total. KEYLESS REMOTE START FOB AUDIOVOX FCC ID: ELVATCC AVX-1B4S | eBay

Gotta love the interwebs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-r7...&feature=share