View Single Post

Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default timing tensioner reply

Hello,
I have an 05 PF that has 125k on it and has been whinning for about 2000 miles.
Shame so many are having this problem, but these posts are a great resource.
I am planning on making this repair myself and am looking for info on how to insure I am at TDC on cyl number 1. Once I get that accomplished, is this where I lock the crankshaft in place? How do I utilize the marks that are on the new chains to set the timimg?
Thanks for any help.
jVB

Good Questions:

First, make sure that you have the factory CD shop manual and TSB. The manual has diagrams showing the index marks (keyways and marks on the sprockets/gears) that index to the colored chain links. As I recall, the secondary gear marks were on the back side of the gears, so that you could not see them once installed. You may want to manually rotate the engine once the cover is off to realign the old chain index marks to make sure that everything is straight. For TDC, I removed the valve covers and aligned the cam lobes. Remember, # 1 cylinder is on the passenger side. Also, the crankshaft pulley timing mark aligns to thje mark on the fan pulley housing, again on the passenger side of the engine. Finally, once you are on TDC, go ahead and lock the flywheel into place.

good luck.