View Single Post

Old 03-25-2007, 03:23 PM
2015 Rogue

What engine is in the x-trail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Johnson View Post
I have a problem which originated under warranty and will cost me maybe thousands of dollars to fix and the dealership doesn't want to know.
When about 2 yrs old it began to use oil with no apparent evidence of leaks anywhere. I went back to the dealer on 3 separate occasions under warranty and they told me the oil consumption was within their specs - I'm talking "no oil showing on the dipstick" between one service to the next. They ran tests and said "all normal". I also reported on two occasions a strange rough idling vibration and growl upon starting the car. On the first occasion they changed a part (they said) and on the second they reported they could not locate any problem.
The problems continued with Nissan saying "all is normal" , by this time the car began to use some water with no apparent leaks anywhere. The car came out of warranty. By then I had rough idling (particularly on start up), high oil consumption, and high radiator water loss.
The vehicle is well looked after, carefully driven and has just reached 100,000 (the warranty is 100,000kms or 3 yrs).
The problem is so bad now that I took the car to a recommended independent mechanic for an opinion and repair and it broke down in his driveway and I couldn't restart it. I just reported to him the oil loss, rough idle (particularly at start up) and the ever increasing coolant loss and he said - "obviously a head gasket or cracked head". I said how do you know, he said "basic symptoms in mechanics, any mechanic would know that and the dealer's mechanics would too". He tested the car and said definitely head gasket (1 week and $1200 - $1600, or cracked head, which could be $1600 - $3000), and he said that any good mechanic would pick those symptoms.
When I told him of my episodes with Nissan service he said -"they would have known!" This is a highly regarded mechanic, he works on racing team vehicles here and in the U.S. and he lectures at TAFE in NSW and he is prepared to document any evidence of wear and tear consistent with the problems that I reported to Nissan.
I have had the car serviced, I have on 3 occasions officially reported it to Nissan Service to have it rectified and it seems that just as the car passses 100,000 kms (and it is like new in every other way - in fact we love this car) I'm suddenly on my own!
It shouldn't happen in a well engineered car with an international company who say they back their vehicle!
DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS?
ASE Master Certified.