View Single Post

Old 05-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Tillind

Thumbs up PO455, 2008 Rogue --- THANKS!!!

My new Best Friends:

About a year and a half ago, our 2008 Nissan SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on; at the time, I was in Balad Iraq working for a Defense Contractor. I had my wife take it to the local Nissan dealership---where I bought it and my 2007 Chevy Tahoe (just want to point out that I spent a lot of money there). They in turn plugged it in to the analyzer and it threw "a code" (I assume the P0455? They gave her the text book solution by telling her that it was most likely the gas cap, reset the light, changed her ~$70 and sent her on her marry way.

Before long, the light re-lit (because the monitor kicked back in) so she went back. This time they told her they would have to do a "smoke test" because they would have to do an in-depth diagnosis to figure out what was wrong. They said that this time it would be a minimum of $400.00. She asked if they guaranteed that doing this test would reveal what was wrong? They answered, NO! As I researched I found that if the light was not flashing, it was not that big a deal, so we waited to do anything about it.

Well, we moved to NC in January of 2010 and the light was still on. We registered the cars but there was no requirement to have an inspection until it is time to re-register the vehicles the following year. Now the year has come to an end. I bought my own code reader and there it was, the ole P0455. I decided to use the reader to reset the light and try to get the inspection done but the computers are obviously smarter than me. When they plugged it up, it showed that the system monitor was not working and they asked if I had dead battery lately because that would cause it not to read. They told me to drive it for about 30 miles or so and the system would start monitoring again. I did and well, guess what? Yup the light came back on. I sent a text to the wife and told her that we had to take it to the shop and get it fixed...

When I got home, she had been doing her research (because she is so resourceful) and came across this and a couple other sites which suggested that it may be the Vent Control Valve. I read on some possible fixes like taking it off and blowing it out or possibly putting a little WD-40 in it to possibly make it function again. After a little more looking around, I found that it was an easy job so I took it on as a DYI venture. I tried doing what all was suggested but the light came back on.

I looked around locally and found a valve that the auto parts store could have here the next day for around $85.00. Luckily they were worthless and incompetent and the valve didn't come in. I say that because I found it on Amazon for $53 (including next day shipping if you are a Prime Member). It is the old style but truthfully, I read that they last for several years or 30-40K miles so I couldn't see paying the up-charge for the new and improved version. I put that puppy on and reset the light and took her for a ride to see what happened. After about 40 miles, no light came on so I was optimistic. I pulled off and ran the monitor on her and low and behold, "0" codes. I drove it all day the next day and ran the test again and once again, "0".

I said all that to say this…This forum ROCKS and you folks saved me a LOT of money! Thanks for the help and I will definitely be using this site as long as I own a Nissan. The wife and I were talking and we just bet that the dealerships hate the internet and sites like these because they take a lot of profits out of their pockets!!

THANKS AGAIN!!! DCT