View Single Post

Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 PM
2005 Altima Sedan
2005 3.5 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhizz View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED!! 2005 Altima 3.5... Windows going down when car is off etc...

I can't believe how rediculously simplistic this problem was, apparently it was condensation on the inside door lock wiring! (although I saw nothing wet)

After purchasing an used power window master switch for $16.00 on ebay a few days ago and realized that did NOT solve my problem, I decided to take a look on the inside of the door panel after reading posts stating that it could be a shorted wire on the door lock wiring etc..

I took the panel off, it was easier than first thought since there are no clips, they are a push and hold type so it's easy to remove and put back on after removing the hidden screws. This link was helpful... 2002-2006 Nissan Altima Front Door Panel Removal Procedure

Anyhow after getting the panel off, I noticed that it is quite difficult to get in there and remove the door lock itself, so I decided to spray something that would evaporate quickly, so I used mass air flow spray (that's all I had) on the connection wiring just behind the lock itself... Wouldn't you know it, I plugged the master switches back in to complete the electrical loop, put the key in the door and turned/held and the window went down!!! I couldn't believe it...

I got to thinking, after having this car for 6 years with no issues... I usually wash my car myself but lately I've been lazy and have been taking it to the spray and wash, I just wonder if I'm unecessarily getting water in the door lock?? Hmmm??

The only thing I would try before getting into the panel, buy some evaporative type spray or even white grease and spray it into the key hole first and see what happens, you never know...

Hope this helps!

Rudy ;-))
STATUS UPDATE:

Well today is January 16th, 2011... After the fix I did above at the end of December, the windows have worked fine and I haven't had one issue! I really don't believe the key fob's have anything to do with the windows rolling down by themselves, it is a moisture issue with the inside of the door lock.