View Single Post

Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 AM
pilot1226

Hi,

I noticed this same problem back in June of this year. My car was sputtering when idling after startup, on occasion at traffic lights (when the RPMs are lower than in "park" or "neutral" but your foot is on the brake so you aren't moving) After some googling, I decided to try the MAF cleaning, and it worked! Sputtering was gone, no stalling!

After about 2 months of that - late August - I noticed that I was getting a CEL pop up whenever i was on large stretches of highway when I could open it up beyond 75 mph.

I recently asked local auto parts chains to give me a quote for a new MAF sensor, and all were in excess of $300 (US, Northeastern portion of the country). I called the dealer and they told me the job was around $650 including labor.

So, I hit up eBay the other day and just got the part in the mail yesterday for about 10% of the price the dealer quoted me for. It came with the housing that connects to the top bracket of the air cleaner element, so you'll need a metric wrench (I think it was either 8 or 9 mm) to disconnect the bolts.

Plugged everything in, and it works like a champ. The CEL is still illuminated, but this doesn't surprise me because it takes around 6 cycles of non-high-speed, non-highway driving for the light to get extinguished.

I'll try to remember to check in here in a week or two from now and let you know how it's working. I saved my old MAF just in case it didn't work, but I'm pretty confident that the new MAF will fix this problem, because after the initial cleaning of the original MAF the sputtering issues went away.

Thanks!
Pilot