Thread: Brake Problems
View Single Post

Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 AM
Cpointpond

Default 2005 Armada Brake Problems

Here is my story with my 2005 Nissan Armada and unfortuntely it still continues

The issue/problem: The brake light comes on. When brakes are used, there is decreased braking power. The brakes make a crunching, springy noise with the pedal being extremely soft until it gets closer to the floor and begins to give braking power. When ignition is turned off, the problem resolves at least temporarily. When the engine has turned off, I have had the problem reoccur as soon as 5 minutes and as long as 31 months. I made a video of one of the 2010 instances @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtpofDbJR8

I first experienced the braking problem back in 3/06 with ~12,000 miles on the vehicle. The dealer was not able to duplicate the issue, but it had happened to me 3-4 times prior to getting it to the dealer. During the visit, they performed the judder brake bulletin service. The description of the judder brake bullentin did not seem to fit my problem, but the car no longer had the issue.

Then the issue reoccurred at ~46,000 miles in 10/08. Again the brakes did not have full power for 3-5 times prior to getting it to the dealer. I was able to demonstrate the problem to my local mechanic, but when he shut down the engine, the problem resolved. I returned the car to the dealer. The computer did not have any repair codes stored, but they performed TSB 06-040. I was told they did a computer software update.

The car was fine until 6/25/10 when the problem reoccurred. It occurred three times throughout the day. I started tracking the occurrences: 6/27 x 1, 6/28 x1. I made a appointment with the service manager at the dealership on 6/29. My concern was an appropriate fix for the problem as well as assistance with a warranty extension. I kept the car and it reproduced the problem 7/1 and 7/4@ 70,697miles. I made arrangements to allow them to take the car and get a loaner so that they could hopefully reproduce the problem. Since the service manager was on vacation, I did not switch the car out until 7/15. I had put on ~1,000 miles between 7/4 - 7/15/10 but no further instances of the braking problem. I did put a video up on youtube to show exactly what was happening with the car for the service manager.

There was another video describing the same exact problem I experience at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAYu1NOgQ_0 ; and there are many boards filled with similar stories (ie. http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-918.html). ; Because of my long time periods between episodes, I am sure it is not easy to diagnose . . .nor do I believe there is an easy fix.

The dealership had the vehicle for 3+ weeks from 7/15. I was told they completed two software updates. ( I could not ascertain from them whether these were 2 different versions or the same version update). The service rep said he hoped that the problem was resolved.

On September 2. 2010 @ 72,449 miles, the instance of crunching, springing sound from the brakes, brake light on, and this time just slight reduction in braking power existed rather than the previous 75%. Since I had a car load of kids, I opted to pull over and "reset" the vehicle.

My suggestion to you is to file a complaint at Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint via the online form. Someone from the government did contact me after I reported . . .not sure if it went anywhere though.

I would suggest getting the car to the dealership without turning off the engine when it occurs.

I think Nissan is shoving this under the carpet. Good luck and please post any suggestions that you may have.

My car is proof that software updates DO NOT fix the problem so please drive carefully!

Last edited by Cpointpond; 09-22-2010 at 04:46 AM. Reason: more descript