View Single Post

Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 PM
us_matrix

I did not get the idle down yet. Do I need to clear the yellow "Service engine light" off first before I follow your procedure? If I do need to clear the Service engine light first. Can I disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to clear that or I have to use the scanner to clear the engine service light on panel? And also, in your proceudre, you mentioned MIL. What is MIL?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltimaPR View Post
I am having difficulty understanding...

You stated originally that you took the belt off the engine....had the engine running and you still had the noise?....then it's NOT the alternator, it is definitely coming from inside the engine as you stated. The belt exists so it may run the accessories like the water pump, alternator and power steering pump on your engine. You have a whole world of things inside your engine that can cause mechanical noises. We do not know the background on your car and this issue may be something completely outside the original topic of belt-slapping which by your described symptoms, seems not to be the alternator pulley. Did you get the RPM's down?

It may be a good time to take your car to a responsible mechanic for at least a diagnostic and work from there than replacing parts based on guesswork.