View Single Post

Old 06-12-2009, 08:24 PM
gto78

Default 2008 2.5S CVT Jerks during accel

My 2008 Altima has 22K miles on it. It's mostly highway mileage, and driven easily by my wife whos a fairly slow driver. We bought the car new, never been beaten on.

What it does is jerks and shudders during light acceleration, especially worse at about 40 mph. If you're lightly accelerating and decide to give a little bit harder accelerator, it jerks/shudders much worse. The shuddering goes away if you quickly hit the gas pedal enough to raise the rpms to a different power range. The car shudders enough that you feel like the car wants to stall or something, but it's obviously the transmission grabbing and letting go, pretty embarrassing when you have passengers who previously thought it was a nice car.......

One time while she was entering the turnpike the transmission began slipping and just revved to about 5500 rpm, and quit accelerating at about 60 mph. She had to let off the gas completely, once the rpms dropped to about 1200 or so it reengaged into gear and was able to drive normally.

I don't know if this is a common issue, or simply a worn out fluid issue. I'm not risking paying almost $20 a quart for the fluid to find out if that's the problem. So before I call the dealer, just wondering what to expect. I like to have some knowledge before discussing it with the warranty people at the dealer.