View Single Post

Old 02-22-2009, 09:38 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama334 View Post
I agree totally. For the cardbord end caps, if it is made to Nissan specs, and QC'ed by Nissan it's a approved part. I may be wrong here but for the Nissan oil filter what's the differnce with cardboard end cap and cardboard media? This is something I can't explain. You can however do a visual inspection of the filter to determine quality. Look at the gasket, how the gaskets held in,the media, do I see a fold every __ cm's, or is the media packed tight and the pleats close together, the number of holes in the end cap for oil flow. Examine any quality filter with a fram and you can see the differnce, plain and simple. Now for the flow, particle size..etc it's all lab stuff.
Note: some of the very expensive oil filters have been known to restrict oil flow due to too many pleats. So a greater # of pleats is not necessarily better. The oem filters are designed specifically for your engine.

Filters that I have personally used and feel are good quality filters are: Nissan oem, Wix (also NAPA brand is the same filter) and Purolator .
I recommend staying away from Valvoline and Fram filters.
ASE Master Certified.