View Single Post

Old 02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Bama334

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
Oil is pretty much oil. All the name brands are about the same quality. I would stay away from the quick lube places. They use the absolute cheapest filters they can find.They also use the cheapest labor they can find. I see a lot of cars come through the shop with those filters. The housings are very thin and they puncture easy. Also some of them have very poor gaskets on them and they leak. I have had some of the valvoline filters cause buzzing noises that sound like internal engine noises or oil pump noises. No one has ever provided any proof that using cardboard end caps on the filters is a problem. After all ,the filter itself is made of paper on most if not all oil filters.
The dealer charges about the same or sometimes less than the quick lube places and they keep all the records on file. If you ever have an engine issue it is easier to go to the dealer who has been doing the oil changes and have them fix it. They won't have any reason to request maintenance records because they will already have them.
I agree totally. For the cardbord end caps, if it is made to Nissan specs, and QC'ed by Nissan it's a approved part. I may be wrong here but for the Nissan oil filter what's the differnce with cardboard end cap and cardboard media? This is something I can't explain. You can however do a visual inspection of the filter to determine quality. Look at the gasket, how the gaskets held in,the media, do I see a fold every __ cm's, or is the media packed tight and the pleats close together, the number of holes in the end cap for oil flow. Examine any quality filter with a fram and you can see the differnce, plain and simple. Now for the flow, particle size..etc it's all lab stuff.

Last edited by Bama334; 02-21-2009 at 07:50 PM.