View Single Post

Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM

2004 Altimaa

Default downloading service manual PDF chapters individually

I previously wrote that I would report back on the problem with downloading the separate PDF Service Manual chapters, with use of a Machintosh Safari Browser. I finally learned that one can predictably use Mac Safari, if one is careful to manually remove the Nissan cookies before downloading, and if one does NOT right click and download, but instead clicks or double clicks the jump/244/82 file, which has the unexpected consequence in Safari of actually downloading the PDF to desktop. This peculiarity may be common to all Mac browsers or only to Mac Safari.

Then I tested downloading Service Manual PDF chapters in PC IE7, where I find that these so-called PDF files are not (i.e. do not point directly to) really PDF URL. Instead they are named 82.html jumps to a scorekeeper someplace, keeping track of whether the user has downloaded zero or at least one of ANY NissanHelp file (PDF chapter or not) on a given day. Downloads in Internet explorer on PC include selecting 82.html file, or opening (as opposed to downloading) that file inside a browser. That is, By using browser IE7 on PC, I also find that one can easily "use up" the one chapter per day download limit, by selecting the html file in some way other than choosing download.

In order to learn about this jump file, I inspected the 82.html file properties from a PC Internet Explorer browser, which I learn has following parameters:

Properties, General "82" is actually 82.html (this per Macintosh)

Protocol: HyperText Transfer Protocol

Type: COM/FORUMS/KNOWLEDGEBASE/JUMP/244/82

Address URL: http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...se/jump/244/82

One must make exactly the right selection in the right sequence to get these PDFs for free, which couild be a problem. A more trouble-free download option would be preferable. I am not completely sure at this writing that I have described the various permutations with complete accuracy. I have tested with both PC and with Mac for other browsers as well. Keeping track of how the "jump" file behaves for various browsers and platforms can get mixed up. The limited description above is probably right, and the variables are right.

However, with diligence, getting the single chapter PDFs for free is possible, and the price is right. Being able to download these free Service Chapters biases me noticeably toward buying another Nissan.