View Single Post

Old 03-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Tech Enthusiast

2003 Frontier SC 4x4 Crew

Simply put, incompatible aftermarket product and or improper install. No offense but there might be something you missed without you realizing it. The signal strength going from the head unit to the factory amp may be too much.

After recently having some experience helping a friend install an additional amplifier downwind of the factory amp, the signal was not strong enough even though we used a signal converter. The subs played but had very little volume and power. That told me that the converter was not sending enough signal to the amplifier or the ohm load signal was not correct.

Sometimes, aftermarket stuff is not very compatible due to the signal being sent to the equipment. Since you're replacing your head unit and you have two factory amps, I bet the signal being sent to the amps are at a higher ohm load vs. what the factory amp sent. As far as the noise, that's a ground loop issue.

My scencere recommendation is to take this to a local audio dealer and see if they could possible fix the problem. Things of this nature and level of complexity is best handled with an experienced and trained technician before the factory amps burn up or the new head unit itself.

Be sure and repost the outcome if you get it fixed. I'd love to hear the results for future reference.