View Single Post

Old 03-17-2006, 05:37 PM
jedi105

Default Stereo questions on 93 PF

Hello all. Once again, thanks to those who have responded on my other questions. I appreciate the help.

I have some more issues that I would like to get a handle on. As listed above, I have a 93 Pathfinder. I bought it used a few days ago. The stereo was ripped out by the previous owner.

I bought a new chaep stereo at BB. Simple little CD and radio. Nothing fancy. I bought a wiring harness adapter. I cut the adapter from the stereo and hooked up the new harness. All wires were mated to their counterparts on the radio except 3. 2 Had to do with the dynamic illumination which I did not want anyway, and the 3rd was for the Amp turn on (which did not have a sister wire on the wires on the radio). Long story short, this produced power to the radio and it was clear that the radio was receiving a signal. Unfortunately, there was no sound.

After some research, I found the installdr.com and found a link that indicated that this Amp turn on wire was indeed needed and should have been connected to the power antenna wire of the radio. Apparently, my PF has a factory installed amplifier which needed to be juiced.

Ok, so I hooked this wire to the power antenna wire of the stereo. I had to splice it in with the "power antenna" wire from the other harness. I dont like doing things like that but I did. Lo and behold, when next I turned the ignition to on, the radio produced some exceptionally clear and crisp music. I was happy as a clam but still worried about having 2 wires from the aftermarket harness adapter being spliced into one receiving wire on the factory original wiring harness. As I was getting ready to put the console back together, I started the truck and bam....there was this horrid humming sound coming from the speakers that was in time to the engine whine. Ok, my guess is a bad or poorly connected ground. What do you think? My truck is old enough to have some surface rust on the metal brackets and frame pieces under the dash so it's possible. My thought is to cut the ground and splice a longer wire so i can feed it to another part of the chasis that has a better surface.

Sorry this was so verbose. I would appreciate any and all feed back.

Thanks