View Single Post

Old 06-25-2019, 12:46 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

In order to replace the water pump, you have to remove the timing belt covers and, you "should" also remove the timing belt to prevent coolant from getting onto the timing belt. There is a significant amount of disassembly to get to either one, so, if there is a considerable amount of time or mileage on either one, it's prudent to replace them both at the same time. That why you see Timing Belt Component kits that have the timing belt, tensioner and water pump and gasket. Some kits may even go so far as to include the front cam seals, front crank seal and even the thermostat and drive belts or even radiator hoses. I totally agree with your mechanic! He's essentially saving you money in the long run because it'll be 105,000 miles or 6-years (the recommended replacement interval for mileage or time, whichever comes first) before the timing belt is due, again. Hopefully, the water pump will last that long, as well (it should). With my own VG33E, I also replaced, along with the previous items mentioned, the bypass hose which sits inconveniently behind the rear timing cover. I rather do it all at once and (hopefuly) not worry about it again than have to tear it all apart for something else a couple months down the road. FYI, there are some engines that actually have the timing belt drive the water pump, which is why the whole timing belt kit w/ water pump started.