View Single Post

Old 06-09-2018, 07:25 PM
2016 Leaf

I want to give an update of my issue in case it might help someone else. First off the OBD adapter had a bent pin that was causing the communication problem, so that was a relief, and as soon as I got LeafSpy running again, I had a look at all the error codes.

As I stated above, we had a tow-to-home incident recently where the 12v battery got drained. I also forgot to mention that we also had a night where we forgot to plug the car in, so it went a full 12+ hours with out being charged.

These things lead me to suspect the 12v battery. I checked it with a multi meter and it read 12v. I decided to disconnect the negative terminal and connected a 12v trickle charger and left it over night. I've read other reports that said disconnecting the battery for a period allows you to re-set the computer systems....

In the morning a checked the batter voltage and it read 13v, but when I reconnect it and plugged in the EVSE, the car would still not charge and displayed the same behaviour where the first blue charging light would blink for 2 minutes and then go out.

I still suspected the 12v battery so I went out and got bought a new one. I brought it home installed it and then FIRST cleared all the trouble codes using LeafSpy. Once the codes are gone, I crossed my fingers and plugged in the EVSE.... and it started charging!

I was very relieved to say the least, but now I would like to know what was going on...

I can understand that the computers controlling everything need 12v to operate, but what does that suggest about the condition of the old battery? I understand that in an ICE car the battery needs amperage to run the started motor, but what does the LEAF need from the 12v battery that is so demanding?