View Single Post

Old 01-05-2018, 03:33 PM

2006 Frontier, crew-cab

Smile

Just found the email letting me know of this post...

Hope all is well with your progress. I can tell you it took me two full days it seems, but it has been over seven years now. My Frontier was traded this past August with 165k miles and still running strong. Totally impressed the engine still never started to burn oil. Oil changes occurred ever 5k miles. Anyway,...

My assistant whom helped with the cam recovery is a Nissan tech at the time. He told me the he repaired many VQ35 timing chain guides and showed me the timing marks that come on the new timing chains. He brought a new paint pen to highlight the links as they are only a shade different in appearance.

The tech told me the valves are a non-interference. So, watching him he fit the new primary chain and rotated the crank and cams as needed to align the timing marks of the chain with the cam gears. I swear he spun the right bank exhaust cam a full 360 degrees.

I was nervous about this, but gave him the benefit of the doubt due how many times he had replaced timing chains. He was very confident.

So, my Frontier had about 96k miles back then and ran fine for another 69k miles.

The only thing that was different, was the slow return to idle rpm which I lived with for the rest of the time. I took the Frontier to him for his opinion on that matter and he set the idle speed with his shop computer or whatever that was. Never understood why the change in behavior, but that's what it did.

Keep us posted how you are doing.

P.S. I still have the tools for this job if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo6x View Post
I'm a late bloomer and i guess so is the VQ40 in my Xterra....i'm just doing the timing chains now. Motocopter mentioned that his right bank cam jumped when he removed the secondary chains. I'm at this point in the repair now. I want to avoid removing the valve covers if possible. My question is...IF either of my cams jump, is there an "easy" way to recover without all the added work of removing the intake and valve covers? I noticed in one of his updates, it sounds like he had a buddy help get his timing recovered without removing valve covers. And Ditto to all who have contributed here....this is a great thread! Should be required reading for all of us Nissan do-it-yourselfers!