View Single Post

Old 11-26-2017, 12:14 AM
2001 Frontier King Cab
2001 Frontier XE 2.4L

Default P0402

I have the same truck, 2001 Nissan Frontier XE 2.4L, and the same code P0402.
If your truck has high miles, your solution is most lightly to unclog the 4 intake manifold ports. #1 and #3 ports were not too difficult to get to. I used a wire coat hanger to punch through the carbon that was covering the hole inside the port. Use a good flashlight to visually confirm that you got a hole inside the port before screwing the plug back in. I had to unbolt the EGR valve & pry it away a bit to gain access to #4 port. I was hoping I didn’t have to pull the throttle body for #2 and managed to do so; therefore, you can also do it without having to do that. Note: Do not stop without unclogging all 4 holes. My EGR monitor refuse to complete after I just did #1, 3 & 4 even after driving thousands of miles. I then did #2 and the EGR monitor completed after just 15 or so miles of driving and then I was able to pass my smog test. I don’t think you need to spray cleaner just as long as you vacuum up the loose carbon inside the ports. Hope this helps another owner and save them so time and money.