Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2002 xterra overheating error codes help Forums > > 2002 xterra overheating error codes help 2002 xterra overheating error codes help
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 PM
2002 Xterra

Default 2002 xterra overheating error codes help

I've been looking at some previous threads and it seems I might have a problem similar to others, but my questions are different.

First off I don't know a ton about cars, just some basics. But I can google the heck out of anything and learn pretty quickly about subjects if it's gonna save me some $$$.

My 2002 Xterra SE 4x4 v6 no supercharger. Has had a habit in the Texas Summer of overheating in Traffic or while waiting for an extended time just idling with the AC on etc. Start moving again and the Temp goes back down. I thought I had the problem fixed late last summer as I just added some coolant to the resivour and the problem seemed fixed.

Fast forward to yesterday and the CEL comes on. It's started to get a little hot this week too, so maybe that is part of it. Anyway, last summer the CEL never came on, now it has. I went to Advanced Auto parts this evening and they gave me codes P0217, and P0328.

Engine Coolant Temp something
Knock Sensor something

In doing some searching already (which is how I found this site) it sounds like the P0328 might be caused by the P0217. The causes for the P0217 from the manual (EC) I downloaded from this site, mention a few things that kind of peaked my interest about doing this myself. Blocked radiator, Engine coolant sensor, and thermostat. It looks like I might be able to flush the radiator by myself.

The thermostat looks like I have to take apart a ton of stuff and even a belt to get to the thing (from what i've seen on youtube). Might be a bigger job than I'm ready for...not sure.

I've searched in vain though and can't seem to find any diagram online that shows where the Egine coolant sensor is.

If any of you could point me in the right direction I'd be greatful. Also the Auto Parts guy said if the engine isn't getting really hot I'm probably not doing much/any damage to the engine with these codes....thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

If the engine is overheating at idle, then you should either have a problem with a low coolant level, coolant circulation or a faulty radiator fan clutch.

The first thing I suggest to do is changing the coolant and bleed the system. If the problem persist the next step if to replaced the thermostat.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM
2002 Xterra

Default Thanks for help, I'll update to my progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
If the engine is overheating at idle, then you should either have a problem with a low coolant level, coolant circulation or a faulty radiator fan clutch.

The first thing I suggest to do is changing the coolant and bleed the system. If the problem persist the next step if to replaced the thermostat.
Thanks for the help. I don't think it's the radiator fan clutch, because the fan does spin when the car is turned on and sitting there.

I was thinking about maybe changing the coolant as an idea. It's so hard to see what level the coolant is because the battery is in the way of the markings and the thing is a little dusty. This sounds like something I could do myself.

I took a look under the car Saturday. Is that little rubberery flap over the radiator drain plug really important? The one metal screw in the center has been stripped so I'm thinking of just cutting around it and popping the other plastic pins out to get to the drain plug.

If the coolant flush/refill does the trick, how do I get ride of the SES light? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

I don't know if you bought this new or how many miles. Since you're changing out the coolant I suggest that you replace the T-stat and ECT sensor as well if they are still OE.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM
2002 Xterra

Default Bought used

I bought it used in early 2009 and it currently has 130,550 miles on it. Have no idea if the ECT or T-stat is oem or not.

I've tried to find where the ECT sensor is, but can't find a diagram with it anywhere. Seems to be an easy swap if I could locate the thing.

The T-stat seems expensive as I've seen some video's on youtube about it. Just to get to the thing looks like you have to take a ton of stuff out of the front of the vehicle. If I'm forced to replace the T-stat I understand that I should also replace the timing belt and water pump as they are right there too. Is this correct?

I'm just trying to keep the repair costs as low as possible. Flushing the coolant is a lot less than replacing the other stuff.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:02 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

It cost more because of labor. Otherwise the part is only about $20. The ECT sensor is just above the water pump, water inlet housing. The part is about $30. You need a 21mm long socket. Disconnect the wiring connector and insert the socket. The t-stat is front right. Take pictures b4 you disconnect stuff for reference later when re-installing. Hope the attached pic helps.

#22630- ECT seensor, #11060 -water outlet, #21010 - water pump assy, #21200 - thermostat assy. You could also visit: nissanpartszone.com. That's where I got this pic.

[]
Attached Thumbnails
2002 xterra overheating error codes help-nissan-xterra-water-pump-cooling-fan-thermostat-210b001-png  

Last edited by bennyb53; 05-01-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Tags
2002, codes, error, overheating, xterra