Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Forums > > Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM
2005 Xterra

I hate to bump an older thread but didn't see the need to start a new one. Tell me if this sounds the same please.

I have a 2005 Xterra SE that I love. About a month or 2 when my fuel gage got to about 1/4 tank my distance to empty display would start showing all ----- dashes. In the last week or so it has started happening around half a tank. Yesterday my service engine light came on.
Now I am behind on my oil change, normally I do it 4-5000 miles so I'm getting that done today to see if it helps.
The truck has never given me a day of trouble and still drives like normal. I'm not noticing any issues other than the displays.

Thanks for the assitance in advance.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:58 PM
2007 Xterra

Dude,
Nissan makes an outstanding engine and drive train. They do a very, very poor job with their sensors. It is for that reason I switched to another manufacturer. I spent too much money repairing none existent problems indicated by "idiot lights" attached to defective sensors. My guess is that you're in for an expensive period of ownership
Old 09-04-2013, 03:13 PM
2005 Xterra

I agree with you. the engine and drive train has been great. I bought it with 23 miles on it, put about 20k before I went to Iraq and put another 40k on it from Nov of last year. It's pulled through rain, ice, snow and flood, she's been a tank. Other than stupid topical damage it runs like a dream and honestly I never thought I would like a Nissan. I just hate stupid lights. I'll have it checked this weekend and if it is that sensor I'll replace it myself.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 AM
2007 Xterra

Good luck. My son just returned from Afghanistan (USAF). I'm glad you made it home. I was told that it was the "fuel sending unit", which they predicted would cause the car to shut down. Over 50k later it was still working. In order to replace the unit which contained the fuel sensor, the gas tank needed to be drained and dropped. Needless to say I never did it and just reset the light, drove 50 miles and brought the car in for inspection, it passed. Which is all I cared about.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM
2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pags363 View Post
Good luck. My son just returned from Afghanistan (USAF). I'm glad you made it home. I was told that it was the "fuel sending unit", which they predicted would cause the car to shut down. Over 50k later it was still working. In order to replace the unit which contained the fuel sensor, the gas tank needed to be drained and dropped. Needless to say I never did it and just reset the light, drove 50 miles and brought the car in for inspection, it passed. Which is all I cared about.

When you reset the light did the gauge start working again? I'm sure this is the problem I'm having now. Today I started it up and the gas gauge was on E the DTE readout was flashing dashes and the SES light was on.

Well hope I can find a good place to do the repair.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM
2007 Xterra

It only worked for awhile, then stopped. It would either read Full or empty rarely anything in between. It was frustrating initially, then I just said screw it.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 PM
2007 Frontier King Cab
2007 Murano

Default Nissan 2007 fuel gauge problem

I have a 2007 frontier with 43,000 miles. Short time ago my fuel gauge went zonkers, similar to others posted here. Nissan issued a recall for this for two periods of manufacturing. My VIN is in between so not covered. I see others in this situation. Does anyone know how we can jointly get a recall forced for this? Seems unfair, and expensive to fix.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:29 PM
2005 Pathfinder

2005 Pathy with 104K. Threw the code and gauge didn't register correctly after a fill up. Cleared the code and after a 1/4 tank it returned to normal. Filled up and it happened again. Picked up a new sensor at local dealer today and will install myself when the tank is close to empty.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:26 PM
2005 Xterra

Default sender unit service

Looking at the sender unit, would not some servicing with fiberglass brush remove corrosion and make it operational again? I use Lenline fiberglass pen brush for fine contact abrasion and it does wonders on all kind of burned/corroded contact points.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:05 AM
2006 Quest

Exclamation 2006 Quest Fuel and Odometer LCD Faded out

My 2006 Quest Fuel and Odometer LCD has just Faded Out at 64,000 miles. I bought this in 2006 and am now ready to buy another one; however, I believe Nissan should recall these vehicles because a cold solder is evidence of unsatisfactory work when these cars were built. If Nissan corrects this problem, I'll buy another Nissan, otherwise I will buy a different brand.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:22 PM
2007 Xterra
2015 Frontier

Thank you so much for this post was super helpful!! Finally....a working gas gauge, pumped! slow learner and clutz with tools = 5 hours, finally beer time :)

Tags
engine, fuel, gauge, light, problem, sevice