Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Forums > > Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 AM
trooper29delta

I might have to disagree with you in having the biggest piece of crap. My 2005 Xterra is the worst vehicle I ever owned and I been driving over 40 years. I am taking it to the dealer on Monday for the 9th time. Our new F150 will be in on the 18th and the Nissan will be the Ford dealer's monkey.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier and my gas gauge started to act up 10 days ago. It started at about 29, 500 miles. It eventually registered full after about 15 or 20 miles. The other day I filled the tank and the gauge took nearly 30 miles to register full. At the same time the service engine light came on. I did what the manual suggested and checked the gas cap and door, but both were closed. I was concerned, but decided to follow the instructions in the booklet and wait for the SES light to go out. I love the internet, so today decided to search for fuel gauge problems and came upon this site. Glad to know that I'm not just a crazy old lady who looks for problems where there aren't any. I'm going to call my dealer as soon as I have posted this message. At least I have some information to give them when I call.
Thanks to all of you.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:00 PM
katelynn3k21

Hi i have a 2005 xterra and when i was at the gas station the other day i filled my tank and the needle didn't move and me service engine soon light came on..after about 15mins my needle started to move to a full tank and the light stayed on. but then after a few a week, it all went away, but of course when i was making a trip down to Florida i got gas and my needle went down to empty and the gas light came on, and the service engine soon light came on...after a litlle but again the neddle moved, but i just dont understand what is going on. Then someone told me that its my fuel level sensor. any help please!?!??!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Default Fuel Gauge Problem and Service Engine Soon Light

I posted my comment on March 4. I called my dealer immediately and had an appointment for the next day. They were very nice to me (surprise) and checked the truck thoroughly. Sure enough the fuel level sending unit and fuel level sensor were defective. Both were replaced . . . fortunately I am still under warranty so there was no charge. Hope others have the same luck.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Wally8

Default 2006 Xterra

Just bought 2006 Xterra SE with 48000 km yesterday. Went to put some gas in since the fuel gauge showed 1/4 tank. After I filled it up, the Service Engine Soon light came on and the fuel gauge went down to empty. Called dealer and fortunately the previous owner had an extended warranty so their covering the repairs. Based upon what I've read here though I'd be kicking and screaming if they didn't cover under warranty.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 AM
2006 Frontier Crew Cab

Since there are so many of us with this problem, makes me wonder why it hasn't been a recall item.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:44 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfigler View Post
Since there are so many of us with this problem, makes me wonder why it hasn't been a recall item.
Recalls are generally for safety items. They don't consider a gauge reading incorrectly a safety issue.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Enthusiast

2005 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
Recalls are generally for safety items. They don't consider a gauge reading incorrectly a safety issue.
For most of us, the gauge probably won't let go in the middle of the desert and leave us stranded cause we couldn't judge the gauge for a gas station - but you never know - it could have the potential for causing death, but I'd agree it would be minimal odds.

I still have my truck - bought it new - 2005. There were moments of thinking about trading it in. I'm still kinda ticked that Nissan installs a defective fuel part and does not stand behind it. I had to have the fuel sensor replaced twice - still crossing my fingers but so far so good.

I've read here others have different issues withtheir trucks. The only thing I had done during the warranty period is the idle thing and the repaint of the bed liner - and the fuel sensor Nissan made me pay even after they made me jump through hoops. I guess I've been lucky and shouldn't grip too much - it really has been a great truck. I have 61K miles on it and changing out the original tires this week.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 AM
pudge29

Same problem with 07 Xterra with 43k miles. Trying to convince dealer it should fall under Powertrain Warranty. We'll see...If not then I have a project for the weekend.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge29 View Post
Same problem with 07 Xterra with 43k miles. Trying to convince dealer it should fall under Powertrain Warranty. We'll see...If not then I have a project for the weekend.
You will not get it covered by powertrain warranty. Only the fuel pump is covered. The sensor falls under the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. It is not too hard to change. You have to remove the fuel tank but it is only held up by 2 straps with 3 bolts.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:20 PM
mschris

thought i'd come back with an update....after having my 06 xterra in the shop 3 times, i finally got it fixed. dealer told me that the ridges/grooves in the tank were preventing the fuel indicator/sensor inside the tank to lower, this was the reason i would never know i was below 1/4 tank. dealer REPOSITIONED indicator inside tank and i havent had any problems since. go figure, after all of the replacing this and replacing that they just moved the darn thing to the right a little and it works.

good luck everyone.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:23 PM
2007 Frontier

Is the replacement part going to be any better than the original? If not will have to do this again in another 40000 miles.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:52 PM
joshuablevins

I've had this same issue on my 2005 Xterra for over a year. I've been using the trip odometer to let me know when it's time to fill up. I had the SES light reset long enough to pass emissions testing last year, but I'm about due again and the reset doesn't last long enough any more. My local dealer (Action Nissan in Nashville, TN) is asking $500 to replace a part that costs under $100 (they based the price on 4 hours of labor). I'm going to check around at some local smaller mechanics and see if I can find someone to do it for a more reasonable price.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Inregards to the fuel tank sending unit, I think it cost 285 CAN I THINK Not sure. Labor 4 hrs labor bit extreme. This job can be done within 2-2.5 hrs easily. I could be wrong, but warranty is only 1.5 hrs. Maybe check with a company with Mitchell or All data for the labor time.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:40 AM
joshuablevins

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcast View Post
Inregards to the fuel tank sending unit, I think it cost 285 CAN I THINK Not sure. Labor 4 hrs labor bit extreme. This job can be done within 2-2.5 hrs easily. I could be wrong, but warranty is only 1.5 hrs. Maybe check with a company with Mitchell or All data for the labor time.
The only part to be replaced is the "Nissan Fuel Gauge Sender Unit 25060-ZS00A" which is under $100. I checked around this morning and found a local garage that will do it for parts plus 2 hours labor. The 4 hour quote from the dealer was a total ripoff.

Tags
engine, fuel, gauge, light, problem, sevice