Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 VDC OFF & SLIP Indicator Lights ON Forums > > 2005 VDC OFF & SLIP Indicator Lights ON 2005 VDC OFF & SLIP Indicator Lights ON
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 AM
XNYX

Now I have this problem, tried the fix in the manual but it did nothing. What's the latest on this, have the dealers found the final fix??
Old 10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
np250

We are going back to the dealer this week. I'll post updates. They still say thay have no factory supported solution(???).
When the vdc/slip lights are on, the system is disabled, regardless of pushing the vdc button. Not good for the snow season.
Becoming very fustrated with Nissan. The dealership service has been OK, but to have this issue unresolved after multiple visits shows very very poor Nissan corporate customer service.
This will be my last Nissan product purchase.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:24 PM
XNYX

If it is a safety issue, especially if the vehicle is under warranty, you have a lot of leverage. I have a friend that had a similar issue with a Chevy truck, he ended up calling GM and telling them the vehicle was unsafe to drive and that they should come and tow it to a dealership. He did not want it back until it was fixed because it was not safe for his family to use it. They fought him and went to arbitration, he ended up with a new vehicle that had more options and cost him no extra money. I personally will not use the vehicle if this problem disables ANY safety system. Get a loaner while it's in the shop and refuse to take it back unless it's fixed!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:08 PM
np250

IMO, this is absolutely a safety issue, and luckily, mine is still under warranty. I will talk with them about it this week, and post back the response.
Rear wheel drive, 270hp and snowy roads can be interesting. When the VDC is working it prevents most 2WD slides perfectly, actually straightening itself out within a few seconds. With it off, the Xterra will swap ends easily, with very little throttle input and at reasonable speeds for the conditions. I know first hand. I live in Canada in an area where we have snow on the ground for a few months of the year, and have 30+ yrs experience winter driving. Nissan needs to address this before someone gets hurt.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM
XNYX

Has anyone with this problem had the slip light go out and the VDC off light stay on? I worked on the fuse box yesterday so I disconnected the + battery cable, when I was finished the slip light was not on any more, only the VDC off. Might be temporary, just have not read any posts where only the VDC light was on without the slip being on too.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 AM
xterratrash

This again just happended to my 08 X after disconnecting the battery to change headlight bulbs, stupid me for following the manual's instructions. I don't think there really is any need to disconnect negative battery terminal to do this, stupid Nissan for such a ridiculous system!

I tried the reset procedure in the manual twice and it hasn't worked (and this reset procedure is incredibly idiotic), I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow for them to reset on their machine.

last time it happened, it happened on its own with no action on my part. The Nissan technician came out with a hand held computer and reset it in a few seconds in the parking lot, they say they now have to bring it into the shop and hook it up to the computer and the tech who did it before no longer works there...too bad, he was good.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:30 AM
xterratrash

My 2008 Manual says to start the vehicle, adjust the steering wheel straight, and drive at speeds over 10 mph for 10 minutes and if you mess up you have to start all over.
that is completely different than an earlier post by np250' 2008 manual, I tried that, drive under 10 mph straight and it worked.

What the hell is Nissan doing????? If designing a decent vehicle is that difficult they should just throw in the towel, definitely going back to Subaru or maybe to Toyota next!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:41 AM
XNYX

[QUOTE=

What the hell is Nissan doing????? If designing a decent vehicle is that difficult they should just throw in the towel, definitely going back to Subaru or maybe to Toyota next![/QUOTE]

Wait until it needs an alignment and you find out that there NO adjustment bolts on the lower control arms. You need to buy them separately.............
Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
xterratrash

I just had this occur again with my 08 X. Dealership took it in and said the battery experienced intermittent low voltage that tripped the lights. They tested the battery and it failed. They replaced it for 1/2 price and free labor under the batter warranty, I guess.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
XNYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterratrash View Post
I just had this occur again with my 08 X. Dealership took it in and said the battery experienced intermittent low voltage that tripped the lights. They tested the battery and it failed. They replaced it for 1/2 price and free labor under the batter warranty, I guess.
My battery is only 1 month old and both lights are still going on and staying on for a long time.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:42 AM
xterratrash

If you bought your X new and have had it back to the dealership 3 times for the same problem you may now want to look into the Lemon Law, Good luck! Let us know if anything new occurs.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 AM
njseminole25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterracanoer View Post
:o I purchased my Xterra in 12/2005. Since then the VDC OFF & SLIP Indicator lights have came on at startup and stayed ON until reset by procedure in manual. I took it back to the dealer after the 2nd time, they reset the module/sensor. Not even a week later and it happened again, this time the reset procedure didn't work until the next day. Am taking it back to dealer. But a) why does this keep happening? and b) what 'normally' triggers the VDC & SLIP to come on?

Thanks

What is the reset procedure????

Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 04:34 PM
McGeehan

I have the ABS / slip lights on, xterra 05. can this be reset? the error code says its the yaw sensor?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM
xterratrash

These lights came on again for me this past Friday, dealership looked at it today and had to get phone tech support with Nissan. They determined it to be a problem with the ABS system and are going to replace the module under the hood tomorrow. 3rd time these lights came on in less than 1 1/2 years of ownership and 3rd different reason for lights coming on, this sure is frustrating...I knock on wood these problems are done with, my 36,000 mile warranty is up in about 3,000 miles
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
np250

After too many visits to our local Nissan dealer, they are completeley useless on this issue. We got no satisfaction or resolution from them. They simply don't know???? Nice support.
Now, that said, I recently reset the vehicle twice using the procedure in the manual, and the lights have not come back on in over two months!! Don't tell me the computer actually uses logic?? I doubt it. Probably be back on tomorrow, now I've jinxed myself.
Crappy factory support for an obvious wide spread issue does not give me confidence to buy another Nissan.

Tags
2005, indicator, lights, slip, vdc