Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
O2 sensors/knock sensors Forums > > O2 sensors/knock sensors O2 sensors/knock sensors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 07-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Lynchmob

Default O2 sensors/knock sensors

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site so thanks in advance. I have an 02 Xterra with 145,000 miles and the SES light came on with the following codes: P0328 Knock Sensor and P0430 Two-Way Catalyst System, Bank 2. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the remedy? How much would it cost to have it taken in and fixed by a pro?

Thanks again, it looks like a great site and resource.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
How much would it cost to have it taken in and fixed by a pro?
Depends on your definition of pro ;)

Back to the question, the light is trigger by the O2 sensor and not by the knock sensor. You should repair the O2 sensor problem first. Most likely the problem is the O2 sensor it self and needs to be replaced. The part is around $100 and a regular tech should charge you up $150 to replace and reset the light.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Lynchmob

Okay, so I had a guy looking at it and he said the sensors appeared to be okay and that it was most likely the catelytic converter. He called the Nissan dealerand the dealer said that the vehicle should be covered by an 8 year warranty on emmissions type problems. Does this sound right?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Lynchmob

This is getting great! Apparently the dealer said 8 years/80,000 miles. Obviously, I'm way over that mileage. So if I have him change out the sensors will that really fix it? I'm looking to sell anyways, so I don't want to spend a lot of money. But I'm not a dishonest person, so I want to fix it before I sell. I simply don't have a lot of money to spend right now.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:48 PM
2015 Rogue

You will probably need to change the catalytic convertor. It can be quite expensive. You should go to a shop and have them check the readings for the oxygen sensors. This can help pinpoint if it is a sensor or a convertor problem.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:00 PM
CoreyGreene

I have 107,000 miles and I have the same two codes. I just recieved a timing belt kit from xterraparts.com and I have new spark plugs, rad. hoses and some other things to put on this weekend. I needed to r/r all the parts anyway and was told to hold off on troubleshooting the knock sensor code untill after the belt was changed because the belt may be the cause of the code. Next I'm going to tackle to the P0430 code. I'lll let you know how I make out.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:49 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyGreene View Post
I have 107,000 miles and I have the same two codes. I just recieved a timing belt kit from xterraparts.com and I have new spark plugs, rad. hoses and some other things to put on this weekend. I needed to r/r all the parts anyway and was told to hold off on troubleshooting the knock sensor code untill after the belt was changed because the belt may be the cause of the code. Next I'm going to tackle to the P0430 code. I'lll let you know how I make out.
It is very unlikely that the timing belt is the cause of the knock sensor code. The code usually indicated a failed sensor. It is very common on the 3.3l engines.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
CJD20

Where Is The Knock Sensor Located On A 2001 Nissan Xterra 3.3l
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 AM
CJD20

Is It Difficult To Change The Knock Sensor On An 01 Xterra
Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 AM
CJD20

Can You Tell Me Where The Knock Sensor Is Located On A 2001 Xterra 3.3l And Is It Hard To Replace ?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Xterraclamper

CJD20,

The K/S is located under the intake manifold, about dead center. The difficultly level is up to the skill set of the mechanic..Question, what is the purpose of the K/S replacement? Do you have the S/C engine? if not, are you replacing due to a SES code?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Rob

I have been told the knock sensor failures potentially are a result of O2 sensors failing. So before going thru the pain of a KS replacement is it worth replacing the O2 sensors ? Anyone have history of this ?

Rob
Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM
nsomniac4u

My girlfriend has an 02 xterra (N/A) and is having the same problems. The dealer is saying that the knock sensor is shorting out so bad that when they try clearing the code to get around it and find out what's really wrong, it immediately trips and won't let them bypass. She's gotten a cat code twice now, but after the last time clearing it they couldn't get it to repeat. The injectors were really clogged, so they cleaned them and now we are stuck with a rough idling vehicle with no idea what's wrong. She has decreased power and gas mileage, so my immediate thought was it is the 02 sensor, any other thoughts? I will be searching for a walkthru on the o2 sensor replacement. It doesn't make sense to me to pay $550 to replace an unnecessary K/S just to find out what's wrong. Oh, and it has 120k miles with timing belt, distro cap, spark plugs, water pump all changed in the last 5k.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Rob

Guess what ?
Since I had not tuned up my xterra I needed to do this anyway...
Piece by pice I replaced...Plugs...Distributor Cap....Rotor....
Check Engine Light Still glowed...With Knock sensor code....
I then proceeded to change the wires....Bingo !!! Reset code...
No more rough ride...No more light !!! I could not believe it..
But its true...Spark plug wire caused all this problem...At 125K miles...
Rob
Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 AM
cbauer

My sensor just came on this morning and it's at 145800km.

Tags
sensors, sensors or knock